This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.798 / 52°47'52"N
Longitude: -0.0621 / 0°3'43"W
OS Eastings: 530755
OS Northings: 324035
OS Grid: TF307240
Mapcode National: GBR JYK.H4B
Mapcode Global: WHHMH.0XQT
Entry Name: Windmill
Listing Date: 7 February 1967
Last Amended: 7 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1308557
English Heritage Legacy ID: 198067
Location: Moulton, South Holland, Lincolnshire, PE12
District: South Holland
Civil Parish: The Moultons
Built-Up Area: Moulton (South Holland)
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Moulton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
MOULTON HIGH STREET
TF 32 SW (east side)
7.2.67 with buildings at
20.10.87 entrance to road)
Tower mill. c.1822, by Robert King, 1895, 1928. Brown brick.
Corrugated iron shallow pointed roof of 1928, with finial, and
dentillated brick eaves. 8 storeys plus basement, a total of 80
feet in height to the curb. 18 feet, 9 inches in diameter at
ground level; 12 feet in diameter at curb. 3 round basement
openings, one each to the south-east, south-west and north-west.
To the north is a large drive wheel, part of steam engine gearing
inserted after 1895 after the sails had been damaged by gales.
West side with flanking flights of 8 stone steps on each side
that lead up to doorway with cambered head and panelled door. 7
glazing bar casements, one above the other, above; that on the
third floor inserted into blocked doorway that originally gave
access to reefing stage. North and south sides each with 8
glazing bar casements, one above the other above. East side with
a 2 storey granary attached masking the lower 3 storeys, the
ground floor of early C19 and rendered, the upper floors of 1895
and in red brick. Both storeys with pivotal glazing bar
casements. 5 glazing bar casements rise one above the other,
above the roof of the granary. All the windows with cambered
heads. Almost all the internal machinery survives intact. The
basement contains the engine drive gearing of c.1895 which
originally powered the subsidiary shaft rising up to the great
spur wheel. The first floor contains an electrically powered
Turner Inkoos Mill, a Kibbler and a Hunt's roller mill. The
second floor contains storage bins and the third, originally the
spent floor with bridge trees and now missing the governor. 2
pairs of French stones remain in place on the fourth floor, one
inscribed: 'WJ & T Child.Maker. Hull. 1853'. Pair of grey stones
lean against wall. Spur wheel with iron nuts and morticed
wooden cogs, iron hub and rib, with wooden radiating spokes.
Small iron nut engages the subsidiary drive shaft. Fifth and
sixth floors with bins intact. Upper two floors are empty.
Above, the wallower with chamfered and stopped wooden shaft with
upper iron section, and an exceptional wooden clasp arm bevel
wheel with wooden cogs. Endless chain sack hoist formerly driven
from a friction rim on the underside of the wheel. Hexagonal
wooden curb frame built into the brickwork, with iron track,
inward facing tooth ring and centring wheels running below. The
wind shaft no longer exists but the tail bearing housing remains.
This is the tallest windmill in the country (not including the
tallest complete windmill, including the cap, at Sutton in
Norfolk). Source: Dolman, p.23. Buildings at entrance to road
Listing NGR: TF3075524035
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings