History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Petwood Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in Woodhall Spa, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1579 / 53°9'28"N

Longitude: -0.2183 / 0°13'5"W

OS Eastings: 519229

OS Northings: 363792

OS Grid: TF192637

Mapcode National: GBR HRR.5LS

Mapcode Global: WHHKN.MW8F

Entry Name: Petwood Hotel

Listing Date: 6 September 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308567

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195250

Location: Woodhall Spa, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN10

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Woodhall Spa

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Woodhall Spa St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Woodhall Spa

Listing Text

WOODHALL SPA STIXWOULD ROAD
TF 16 SE
9/68 Petwood Hotel
II
Hotel. 1905, extended 1910. Red brick plinth. The remainder is
in a fanciful half timbered Tudor style with plain tiled roofs
and 10 clustered red brick stacks. L-plan. Irregular facade of
3 and 2 storeys, the entrance wing of 7 bays the cross wing of 6.
The emphasised entrance bay has carved ashlar ground floor
comprising moulded stone doorway with shields in the spandrels,
flanked by single lights with semi-circular heads. Above is an
oriel with central bow window which runs through 2 floors and has
a highly ornate timber frieze at its base. The gable over is
decorated with a criss cross design. To the right hand side of
the entrance bay is a tall stair window with decorative leaded
lights set under a scalloped gable. The 3 bays beyond contain a
variety of 3 and 4 light openings. The gabled end bay contains
the Ballroom which was added c.1910. To the left are 2 gabled
bays containing 5 light openings. The 3 storey cross wing has 5
decorative gables and a mixture of 2, 3 and 4 light openings. At
ground floor level is a single storey range in the front of the
cross wing containing 6 windows of differing sizes and a pair of
double doors with flanking windows. All windows have timber
mullions and leaded lights. Interior. Fine stair hall
containing geometric Elizabethan style stair and gallery landing.
The stair has carved newels with strapwork design and paired
carved balusters with lions feet. The hall is oak panelled to
dentillated picture rail. The oak room has similar panelling and
a stone fireplace with carved oak mantle comprising three
recessed arches over the fireplace, flanked by pairs of highly
ornate Ionic columns. Several suites on the first floor have
decorative fireplaces with matching mirrors. The hotel was owned
by the Maples family of Maples furniture and this accounts for
the high quality of the fittings. It was used as the Officers
Mess of the famous 617 Squadron during the 2nd World War.


Listing NGR: TF1922963792

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.