History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Margaret

A Grade II Listed Building in Withern with Stain, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3173 / 53°19'2"N

Longitude: 0.1372 / 0°8'13"E

OS Eastings: 542467

OS Northings: 382173

OS Grid: TF424821

Mapcode National: GBR YZD2.HK

Mapcode Global: WHJL6.2WM7

Entry Name: Church of St Margaret

Listing Date: 9 March 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308600

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195654

Location: Withern with Stain, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN13

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Withern with Stain

Built-Up Area: Withern

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Strubby Wold Marsh St Oswald

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Little Carlton

Listing Text

TF 48 SW WITHERN WITH STAIN CHURCH LANE
(north side)
4/51 Church of St Margaret
9.3.67
G.V. II
Parish church, now closed. C15, 1812 rebuilding, 1875
restoration. Red brick, ashlar dressings, render and slate
roofs. Nave with bellcote, aisles, south porch, chancel, north
chapel and vestry. The west wall is featureless apart from small
4 centred arched light and 4 stepped buttresses. A gabled
ashlar bellcote to apex. To the north wall are 3 three light
windows with intersecting tracery. The rendered north chapel
has a semi-circular headed window on the north and in the east
wall a reset C15 window of 2 lights, and a similar window in the
north wall of the chancel, may be reused clerestory lights. The
east window is of 3 lights with C19 reticulated tracery. In the
south wall of the chancel is a window of 2 lights and a further
2 light window in the vestry. The south nave windows match those
to the north. The later C19 gabled porch has a single chamfered
outer arch, with C15 reveals and reset human head label stops.
The inner doorway is 4 centred and single chamfered, and is
recut. Interior. 3 bay nave arcades. C15, octagonal piers,
double chamfered arches. Plain pointed chancel arch, double
chamfered arch to north chapel and similar at east end of north
aisle. Fittings removed apart from C19 west gallery and facetted
pulpit. At the east end of the south aisle a marble wall
monument 1858 with draped urn. Church is now in advanced state
of decay.


Listing NGR: TF4246782173

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.