History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

West Bowers Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Woodham Walter, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.739 / 51°44'20"N

Longitude: 0.6026 / 0°36'9"E

OS Eastings: 579794

OS Northings: 207686

OS Grid: TL797076

Mapcode National: GBR QLV.WQS

Mapcode Global: VHJK4.DKF6

Entry Name: West Bowers Hall

Listing Date: 10 January 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308604

English Heritage Legacy ID: 119179

Location: Woodham Walter, Maldon, Essex, CM9

County: Essex

District: Maldon

Civil Parish: Woodham Walter

Built-Up Area: Danbury

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Woodham Walter

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Little Baddow

Listing Text

TL 70 NE WOODHAM WALTER WEST BOWERS ROAD

2/206

10.1.53 West Bowers Hall

GV II*

House. C15/C16 with later alterations and additions including C20 right gabled
crosswing which incorporates medieval timber. Exposed timber frame with arched
bracing. Red plain tiled roofs. External left and right red brick chimney
stacks, central chimney stack with 4 attached diagonal shafts. 2 storeys and
attics. Original left range with central gabled stair turret and moulded
bressummer to first floor jetty. Mainly 2:1:1 window range of vari-light C20
casements, excepting original 6 light mullion to left of stair turret, bay
to ground floor left and 2 storey 5 light bays to C20 extension. Gabled attic
dormers to rear and to extension return. Original 12 panelled nailed door
with rails and muntins, vase and other carvings to surround. Interior features
include fine C17 panelled room with pilasters. Carved and panelled fire
surround, with segmental arches to overmantel. Jowled storey posts. Stop
chamfered bridging joists. Moulded wall plate to first floor corridor. 2
original first floor brick fireplaces, one with stop chamfered segmental head,
the other with stepped surround and segmental pointed head. Open well staircase
with moulded handrail and heavy turned balusters. Ground floor room with C18
panelling and corner cupboard, possibly from elsewhere. Woodblock hall floor
from Chelmsford Cathedral. Good quality side purlin roof structure. The
present owner possesses a Heptaglottan dated 1669, author, Edmundus Castellos,
owner of the house at that date. RCHM 10.


Listing NGR: TL7979407686

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.