History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Churchyard Cross Approximately 30 Metres East of Church of St. Michael

A Grade II Listed Building in Chagford, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.673 / 50°40'22"N

Longitude: -3.8383 / 3°50'17"W

OS Eastings: 270201

OS Northings: 87543

OS Grid: SX702875

Mapcode National: GBR QB.YXCD

Mapcode Global: FRA 27V9.8J9

Entry Name: Churchyard Cross Approximately 30 Metres East of Church of St. Michael

Listing Date: 22 February 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308621

English Heritage Legacy ID: 94657

Location: Chagford, West Devon, Devon, TQ13

County: Devon

District: West Devon

Civil Parish: Chagford

Built-Up Area: Chagford

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Chagford St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Chagford

Listing Text

CHAGFORD HIGH STREET (north side)
SX 7087 Chagford
6/128 Churchyard Cross approximately 30
- metres east of Church of St.
22.2.67 Michael
GV II

Churchyard cross and war memorial. Erected as a war memorial in 1928 using
fragments of probably C15 crosses. Granite. Cross stands approximately 3.8 metres
high. It is crudely carved with a tall shaft and short stumpy arms. There is a
cross inscribed on the west side at the junction of the arms. The head is medieval
but the shaft is C20 although it is finished in the same style. The socket stone is
also medieval. Standing approximately 400mm high it is octagonal with moulded
sides. It stands on a 2-step plinth; the lower one higher with a soffit-moulded
tread and chamfered plinth. The sides of the steps are inscribed as a memorial to
the dead of both world wars.
The medieval cross head was formerly built into a wall near Holystreet Manor and
before that is said to have stood in the Market Square. The socket stone was from
the yard of Southmead House. Both are medieval but Masson-Phillips points out their
different character and that they never were components of the same medieval cross.
Source. E. N. Masson-Phillips. Ancient Crosses of Devon, Part 1. Trans.
Devon.Assoc. 69 (1937) p. 324.

Listing NGR: SX7019787542


This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 8 December 2016.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.