History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Methodist Chapel sunday School

A Grade II Listed Building in Alford, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2612 / 53°15'40"N

Longitude: 0.1767 / 0°10'36"E

OS Eastings: 545289

OS Northings: 376013

OS Grid: TF452760

Mapcode National: GBR YZPQ.1N

Mapcode Global: WHJLL.P9C6

Entry Name: Methodist Chapel sunday School

Listing Date: 14 November 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308675

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195569

Location: Alford, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN13

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Alford

Built-Up Area: Alford

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Alford St Wilfrid

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Alford

Listing Text

ALFORD WEST STREET
TF 4476-4576 and
TF 4475-4575 (north west side)

5/46, and 6/46 Methodist Chapel
14-11-85 and Sunday School

G.V. II

Methodist Chapel and Sunday School. 1864, by W. Botterill of
Hull. Yellow Farlesthorpe brick with ashlar dressings, banded
blue and green slate roofs. The Sunday School is linked to the
Chapel at the rear. The main front has stepped corner buttresses
with tall pinnacles, and an elaborate corbelled out octagonal
pinnacle to the gable with angle shafts having foliate capitals.
There are 3 shouldered doorways set in deeply moulded pointed
arches with angle shafts having floriate capitals, over the
central door a glazed octofoil and over the flanking doorways are
simple blank trefoils, all set under crocketed gablettes. Above
is a central 4 light window with geometric tracery, flanked by
single similar 2 light windows with hood moulds and floriate
label stops. The side fronts have 5 identical bays, subdivided
tall stepped buttresses with crockets, consisting of a triangular
headed lower 3 light window and a pointed upper 3 light window,
both with a geometric form of tracery. At the rear is a lower
single bay unit with dentillated frieze and 2 light windows
linked to the Sunday School which is a separately gabled
building, having a central 2 light window with floriate dividing
mullion, flanked by single tall and thin glazing bar sashes, all
with flat ashlar heads. Interior. A U shaped gallery is
supported on cast iron columns with floriate capitals and
decorative spandrel brackets. Across the gallery is a glazed
internal roof. Contemporary pews and fittings.


Listing NGR: TF4528976013

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.