History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Vincent

A Grade II* Listed Building in Burton, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2596 / 53°15'34"N

Longitude: -0.5598 / 0°33'35"W

OS Eastings: 496171

OS Northings: 374590

OS Grid: SK961745

Mapcode National: GBR SZJR.M7

Mapcode Global: WHGHZ.CBPG

Entry Name: Church of St Vincent

Listing Date: 30 November 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308689

English Heritage Legacy ID: 196976

Location: Burton, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN1

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey

Civil Parish: Burton

Built-Up Area: Burton-by-Lincoln

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: The Spring Line Group

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Burton

Listing Text

SK 97 SE BURTON CHURCH LANE

9/12 Church of
St.Vincent
30-11-66

G.V. II*

Parish church. C12, C13, C14, 1678, 1795. Coursed limestone
rubble, ashlar dressings, slate roofs. West tower, nave,
chancel, vestry. Tower of 3 stages, 1678, with plinth, 2 moulded
string courses, embattled parapet, angle pinnacles and clasped
stepped buttresses to first stage only. North and south sides
have single rectangular lights to first floor; belfry has large
rectangular cross mullioned louvred lights in 4 directions. West
doorway is a reused C12 opening, originally with a rounded head
but somewhat reset to its present 3 centred shape. Nook shafts
support reeded imposts, roll moulded head with fillet to billet
moulded hood with scallops to outer face. Fine C17 fielded and
panelled door with original hinges. Above is an inserted Cl.8
oval window. To second stage, a wooden lozenge shaped clock
face. North side of the nave has a bow to accommodate a fireplace
in the western gallery. Further east are 2 two light C14 windows
with ogee heads and flat hood moulds. Vestry has in its west and
north walls single windows with segmental heads and moulded
reveals, divided into 2 halves by brattished transomes; below
are 2 lights, above are 4 with cusped 3 centred arched heads. In
the east wall is a C13 lancet. East wall of chancel has a fine
C14 3 light reticulated window with 3 cusped ogee headed lights,
with hood mould and human head label stops. South wall of
chancel contains a C14 3 light window with ogee heads to the
lights and a flat hood mould, and in the nave south wall are 2
similar windows. Interior. In the tower vestibule are stairs to
the gallery, with 6 panelled double doors above. Nave is entered
through a 6 panelled door which has an eared surround to the east
side. The semi-circular chancel arch has a single plain order
and a second similar but chamfered arch opens into the vestry
through the north wall of the chancel. West gallery of 1795 with
dentillated cornice and panelled front. In the gallery is a
fireplace at the north end installed by the 6th Baron Monson.
The gallery is panelled to dado height. It contains an C18
Italian gilded altar piece with painting. 1919 carved oak
screen, pulpit, reader's desk; all other fittings including the
font are C19. At the west end, in the gallery, are 2 funeral
hatchments. In the vestibule is a chantry board dated 1815.
There are 2 C17 chests, one in the vestibule and the other in the
vestry. In the east window is a circular panel of stained glass
bearing the Monson arms. Monuments: Christopher Randes, d.l639,
alabaster wall plaque, central carving with deceased kneeling
opposite wife with children behind set in a square frame with
fishscale cornice and above obelisks flanking a cartouche of arms
with memento mori.


Listing NGR: SK9617174590

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.