History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Priory

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hatfield Peverel, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7675 / 51°46'3"N

Longitude: 0.6019 / 0°36'6"E

OS Eastings: 579629

OS Northings: 210854

OS Grid: TL796108

Mapcode National: GBR QLN.2ZD

Mapcode Global: VHJJY.DT1W

Entry Name: The Priory

Listing Date: 18 May 1978

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308731

English Heritage Legacy ID: 115396

Location: Hatfield Peverel, Braintree, Essex, CM3

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Hatfield Peverel

Built-Up Area: Hatfield Peverel

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Hatfield Peverel St Andrew with Ulting All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Witham

Listing Text

TL 71 SE HATFIELD PEVEREL CHURCH ROAD
(south side)

5/55 The Priory
18.5.78

GV II*

Large house. C.1770. Possibly by John Phillips, for John Wright, historian of
Essex. Gault brick in Flemish bond, roofed with slate. Square double pile plan
facing N, with 2 internal stacks. 2 storeys and cellars. Central part breaks
forward in 1:3:1 arrangement, 4 original sashes of 12 and 8 lights on ground
floor, 5 original sashes of 3 and 6 lights on first floor, all with flat brick
arches, and much crown glass. Central glazed double doors in plaster doorcase
with pediment on scrolled brackets. 2 flights of 10 stone steps with scrolled
tread ends and cast iron railing, incomplete. Modillioned cornice, plain
parapet, hipped roof of shallow pitch. The S (garden) elevation is similar,
except that a French window replaces the entrance, and there are no equivalent
stairs. The ground floor rooms are symmetrically arranged, except for stair
hall to right of entrance hall. The entrance hall has on the left wall a plaque
in low relief by L. Delvaue, c.1725, and on the rear wall 3 roundels in low
relief of William III, Alfred the Great and George II, with garlands, and 4
painted plaster escutcheons of the Wright family. All interior details are
original, including doors with egg-and-dart bordered panels, eared doorcases
with carved cresting, pine dados with egg-and-dart borders, folding internal
shutters, carved fire surrounds, plaster cornices. The original windows are of
mahogany. Accurate restoration in progress at time of survey, January 1985.


Listing NGR: TL7962910854

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.