History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Observatory 100 Metres South-East of Pond

A Grade II Listed Building in Aighton, Bailey and Chaigley, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8452 / 53°50'42"N

Longitude: -2.4702 / 2°28'12"W

OS Eastings: 369158

OS Northings: 438871

OS Grid: SD691388

Mapcode National: GBR CR6Z.0C

Mapcode Global: WH96H.0MZ2

Entry Name: The Observatory 100 Metres South-East of Pond

Listing Date: 13 February 1967

Last Amended: 22 November 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308739

English Heritage Legacy ID: 182907

Location: Aighton, Bailey and Chaigley, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, BB7

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley

Civil Parish: Aighton, Bailey and Chaigley

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Hurst Green St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Hurst Green

Listing Text

SD 63 NE AIGHTON, BAILEY STONYHURST
CHAIGLEY

8/20 The Observatory, 100 metres south-
east of pond
(formerly listed as the Observatories
Stonyhurst College under Hurst Green)
13.2.67
GV II


Observatory, 1838 by Mr. Tuach of Preston (Gerard, John, Stonyhurst College.
Belfast, 1894, p.146), with underground magnetic chamber of 1866. Sandstone
ashlar with timber and glass lantern and felted roof. Octagonal with 4
projecting pedimented wings, with projecting punched quoins and central
circular lantern. Each wall of one bay. Windows have architraves with
false keystones, some of which are cut through to allow telescopes to
project. The door, in the gable of the north wing, is reached by 5
external stone steps and has an architrave with false keystone and a
bracketed cornice. The underground room extends to the south-east and
terminates with a retaining wall with parapet, 2 architraves to blank
openings, and concave flanking walls.


Listing NGR: SD6915638870

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.