History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hanby Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Alford, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2612 / 53°15'40"N

Longitude: 0.1807 / 0°10'50"E

OS Eastings: 545553

OS Northings: 376017

OS Grid: TF455760

Mapcode National: GBR YZPQ.XN

Mapcode Global: WHJLL.R977

Entry Name: Hanby Hall

Listing Date: 20 May 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308757

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195527

Location: Alford, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN13

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Alford

Built-Up Area: Alford

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Alford St Wilfrid

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Alford

Listing Text

ALFORD CHURCH STREET
TF 4476-4576
(south side)
5/5 No,15,(Hanby Hall)
20-5-53

G.V. II*

House. Early C18, parapet added and interior modified in 1735
with late C18 additions. Built for Sir Richard Hanby. Red
brick in Flemish bond with rubbed brick dressings, having deeply
hipped plain tiled roof with 2 ridge stacks. L-plan. 2 storey
plus attics, 6 bay front, originally 5, arranged 2:1:2, the
centre bay being slightly advanced and the right hand end bay a
later C18 addition. First floor eaves band and panelled
parapet. Central 6 panelled door with late C18 traceried
fanlight in fluted wooden Doric surround with triglyph frieze to
pediment. To left are 2 glazing bar sashes and to right 3
similar windows. To first floor are 6 further sashes, all
windows have flat rubbed brick arches. To the roof are 3
glazing bar sash dormers with pediments, the central one being
segmental. To the right hand side of the original 5 bay front
is a cast iron rainwater pipe with fluted hopper dated 1735.
Interior retains fine dog leg staircase with 3 knopped and turned
balusters per tread, moulded handrail, and carved string, with
elaborate fluted newels. The stair hall is fully panelled with
decorative plaster ceiling and over the first floor landing is a
Roccoco plaster ceiling with egg and dart cornice. The hall has
a diamond flagged stone floor. The 2 front rooms also have full
height panelling.


Listing NGR: TF4555376017

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.