History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St. Andrew

A Grade I Listed Building in Irnham, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8279 / 52°49'40"N

Longitude: -0.4824 / 0°28'56"W

OS Eastings: 502347

OS Northings: 326675

OS Grid: TF023266

Mapcode National: GBR FSM.QTX

Mapcode Global: WHGL4.K5HX

Entry Name: Church of St. Andrew

Listing Date: 30 October 1968

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308771

English Heritage Legacy ID: 194153

Location: Irnham, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG33

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Kesteven

Civil Parish: Irnham

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Irnham St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Irnham

Listing Text

IRNHAM CORBY ROAD
TF 0226-0326 (south side)

13/179 Church of
30.10.68 St. Andrew

G.V. I

Parish church. C12, early C13, late C13, C14, early C16, C17,
c.1858 restoration. Coursed limestone rubble, ashlar, lead
roofs. Western tower, nave with clerestory, north aisle, porch
and chapel, chancel. The 3 stage coursed limestone rubble C12
tower has 2 offsets, C16 embattled parapet with gargoyles and
angle pinnacles. In the south wall is a blocked 2 light early
C13 belfry opening, also visible on the other sides. Above are 2
light C14 louvred belfry openings with cusped ogee heads,
quatrefoils and moulded hoods. Recut C12 west door with
chamfered hood and imposts, above a single rectangular light.
The gabled north porch has C19 moulded outer arch. Stone side
benches. The inner doorway is mid C13 with deeply moulded head,
angle shafts, annular capitals and moulded hoods with tail stops.
Nave, chancel, chapel and aisles have C16 embattled parapets. In
the north aisle are 2 three light C13 windows with fine Geometric
quatrefoils to the upper parts. The early C16 ashlar clerestory
has 3 paired trefoil headed lights with panel tracery and
triangular heads and hoods. The extremely fine early C16 north
Thimelby chantry chapel has stepped buttresses and moulded
plinth, with 4 deeply set 3 fight windows with cusped heads,
concave moulded 4 .centred arched surrounds. At the west end an
octagonal stair turret. In the east end a further 3 light window
with panel traceried top. To the chancel a recut C13 3 light
gemoetric traceried window. In the south wall of the chancel are
2 two light late C13 windows with quatrefoils. An ogee headed
door with square hood and a 2 light C17 window. The south nave
wall retains the 3 bay arcade to the vanished aisle. It is of
early C13 character with single chamfered arches and annular
capitals. Set in the blocking are an early C13 door with angle
shafts and dogtoothing plus 2 three light late C13 windows with
intersecting tracery. Interior. Late C13 3 bay north arcade
with octagonal piers and responds, double chamfered arches. Late
C12 tower arch with circular responds, waterleaf and stiff leaf
capitals, moulded imposts and 2 stepped and chamfered orders,
chamfered hood. In the south wall the hood mould of the early
C13 3 bay arcade can be seen. In the north aisle a C16 pointed
doorway leads to an upper door to a vanished rood loft. Early
C13 chancel arch with circular responds, annular capitals, double
chamfered arch. In the chancel north wall a 3 bay early C13
arcade with round piers, annular capitals and double chamfered
arches. Human head stops to the hood. In the sanctuary a C14
ogee headed aumbry with crockets and finial on the north side and
to the south an early C13 triple sedilia with round shafts,
foliate capitals and moulded heads. In the north chapel an early
C14 Easter sepulchre of sideboard form, comprising 3 niches with
elaborately cusped and floriated nodding ogee canopies with the
upper part richly decorated with gablettes, pinnacles, pierced
foliage and further canopies. In the sides are pierced
reticulated panels, and it has a brattished top. The sepulchre
is flanked by blank niches. The Easter Sepulchre was probably
moved to its current position in 1858. Roofs are all C16 with
tie beams supported on carved corbels. East window stained glass
1859, memorial to Cap. W. H. Woodhouse. Fittings. Full set of
remade C16 oak bench pews with curved rectangular ends with
tracery patterns. The early C13 tub font has bowl supported on
round shaft with 4 attached colonettes. Finely carved oak
openwork font cover with crockets and finials. All other
fittings are C19. At the west end of the nave fine oval
hatchment and 1 Royal Coat of Arms dated 1726. Monuments. In the
south wall of the chancel a fine tomb recess of late C13 date
with trilobed gable and blank trefoils. In the north chapel a
handsome brass to Sir Andrew Luttrell, d.1390. Depicting
deceased life-sized beneath a cusped ogee canopy, wearing plate
armour with feet on a lion and inscription at the base. In the
chancel a small mid C15 figure of a knight in full armour,
inscription missing, possibly to Sir Geoffrey Hilton. In the
north chapel are 3 C18 wall monuments. White marble plaque to
Sir John Thimelby of Irnham Hall, d.1712 with fluted Doric
pilasters, triglyph frieze and pediments supporting an urn.
White marble oval plaque to William Percy, d.1719, with skull and
cross bones to head of inscription. Marble monument to Benedict
Conquest d.1743 of Irnham Hall. A sarcophagus with portrait
roundel, lamps on a square base with moulded cornice and egg and
dart frieze. On the south wall 2 early C19 plaques in white and
grey marble and on the front 4 black marble slabs to C18 members
of Thimelby and Conquest families.


Listing NGR: TF0235026676

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.