This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.3487 / 50°20'55"N
Longitude: -3.5729 / 3°34'22"W
OS Eastings: 288186
OS Northings: 51052
OS Grid: SX881510
Mapcode National: GBR QS.RKNG
Mapcode Global: FRA 38D3.XHN
Entry Name: Kingswear Station
Listing Date: 21 May 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1308783
English Heritage Legacy ID: 100590
Location: Kingswear, South Hams, Devon, TQ6
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Kingswear
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Kingswear
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 8851 KINGSWEAR THE SQUARE
15/151 Kingswear Station
Railway station. Circa 1864. Painted horizontally boarded timber frame, and
rendered plinth. Corrugated asbestos hipped roof with projecting eaves with
moulded cornice. Rendered chimney stacks on ridge. Rectangular station building
with entrance ticket office, waiting room and offices etc and platforms behind
with train shed over and long platform extending to north east with canopy.
Single storey regular but asymmetrical eight window entrance front with double
set back to right. Tall two-light casements with glazing bars with plain un-
moulded timber architraves and aprons. Two doors with similar surrounds,
rectangular fanlights and panelled and glazed doors. Flat roofed wooden canopy
over front with moulded cornice, zigzag fascia and boarded soffit probably con-
cealing iron brackets. Train shed over platforms and line adjoining north west
has boarded sides and timber trusses with iron rod bracing and clad in corrugated
asbestos with glazed ridge. Platform extends to north east has canopy on iron
lattice piers. The Dartmouth and Torbay line was opened in 1859 and the section
from Churston to Kingswear was began in 1862 and completed in 1864.
Listing NGR: SX8818651052
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings