History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade I Listed Building in Little Totham, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.7599 / 51°45'35"N

Longitude: 0.7287 / 0°43'43"E

OS Eastings: 588412

OS Northings: 210322

OS Grid: TL884103

Mapcode National: GBR QLT.R19

Mapcode Global: VHKGN.L136

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 30 December 1959

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308792

English Heritage Legacy ID: 119002

Location: Little Totham, Maldon, Essex, CM9

County: Essex

District: Maldon

Civil Parish: Little Totham

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Little Totham All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


4/194 Church of All Saints


Parish Church. Cl2 Nave, C13 rebuilt and enlarged Chancel, C16 West Tower with
part possibly C17/C18 top structure. C19 south porch. Plastered walls,
probably of flint rubble, base of west tower brick with knapped flint facing,
timber framed and weatherboarded upper storeys. Chancel. Early C13 east window
of 3 graduated lancets, C13 recut lancet to north wall. South wall eastern
window is a widened and restored C13 lancet, the C16 western window of moulded
terra-cotta is of 2 cinquefoiled lights in a square head. Nave. North wall, 2
windows, the eastern a lancet and the western a 3 light casement in a timber
surround, diamond leaded, the centre light with a swan's head catch. Between
the windows is the early C12 doorway with plain jambs, round arch and chamfered
imposts. C12/C13 nailed 5 board door, with reversed C to upper strap hinge and
wrought lower strap. South wall C15 east window of 2 cinquefoiled lights in a
square head with moulded label. C13 western restored lancet. Very fine south
doorway c.1160 with a round arch of 3 orders, the inner of squares and diapered,
the outer 2 moulded with fleuron billet and crenellated enrichments, billet
enrichment to moulded label. Square inner order to jambs. 2 detached shafts
with plain bases,foliated capitals each of a different design and banding bosses
each with face and side compass point discs. Late C13 nailed door of 4
feathered battens with strap hinges, C15 foliated scutcheon plate. C19 porch,
timber framed and weatherboarded, brick plinth. Gabled red plain tiled roof of
side purlin construction. West Tower. Knapped flint ground floor with stone
dressings to buttresses, stair turret and 2 stage plinth angles. Loop light to
stair turret. West doorway has moulded jambs and 4 centred arch in a square
head with traceried spandrels and moulded labels, a shield dated 1527 over. The
timber framed and weatherboarded upper stages with short red tiled spire and
slanting red tiled roof to stair turret. The frame incorporates early timber
but is of a later date. Interior. Chancel roof of 7 cants with moulded wall
plates and one plain tie beam. Piscina, moulded trefoiled head, defaced label,
moulded capitals and bases to shafted jambs, chamfered shelf,no drain. C19
wrought iron altar rails. Fine altar tomb monument against south wall of Sir
John Sammes (buried at Isendike) and Isabell (Garrard) his wife. Mid C17.
Marble. Shelf with central inscribed pedimented panel to left and right of which
and facing each other are a kneeling man and woman in attitudes of prayer.
The man in armour, the woman in mourning shroud. Behind the figures are 2
arched recesses flanked by moulded pilasters. In a recess below the central
panel is another kneeling male figure in armour, with legs missing, probably Sir
Garrard Sammes, son of the above. In place of the chancel arch is a moulded and
crenellated tie beam with wall posts and spandrels with scalloped soffits. The
C15 Nave roof of 7 cants, ceiled and plastered. Simple wall plate. 3 tie beams
with wall posts and arched braces. Carved head corbels to eastern tie beam. No
arched braces to western tie beam. The C19 pulpit incorporates early C17
panelling and frieze carved with foliage. C15 font, octagonal with moulded top
edge and different forms of tracery to each face. Modern stem and base. The
incomplete tower arch has original semi-octagonal responds with moulded bases,
now with chamfered segmental pointed head. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TL8841210322

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.