History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Thomas

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bradwell-on-Sea, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7245 / 51°43'28"N

Longitude: 0.9004 / 0°54'1"E

OS Eastings: 600416

OS Northings: 206840

OS Grid: TM004068

Mapcode National: GBR SQ3.SK4

Mapcode Global: VHKGR.KXCD

Entry Name: Church of St Thomas

Listing Date: 30 December 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308856

English Heritage Legacy ID: 119199

Location: Bradwell-on-Sea, Maldon, Essex, CM0

County: Essex

District: Maldon

Civil Parish: Bradwell-on-Sea

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Bradwell-on-Sea St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Bradwell on Sea

Listing Text


TM 0006 BRADWELL-ON-SEA EAST END ROAD

10/22 Church of St. Thomas

30.12.59
GV II*

Parish church. C14 Chancel and South Porch. Nave rebuilt and West Tower added
circa 1706. C19 Northorgan Chamber, partial rebuilding of Chancel and
restorations, some by Chancellor 1864. Chancel and organ chamber walls of
flint, rubble and septaria, stone eaves cornice. Nave walls of brick and stone
and tower of red brick. Limestone dressings. Red plain tiled roofs of 2
levels. Chancel. East wall with angle buttresses. C19 5 light windows with
tracery over, 2 centre arched head. Roundel with trefoil to gable apex. Cross
finial. South and north walls with 2 and one window each respectively, 2 light
with tracery over, 2 centre arched heads. There is a buttress between the south
windows. North Organ Chamber. Lean-to with Caernarvon head doorway to east
wall and a 2 light window with trefoiled head. High up on the Nave east wall
C16 corbel frieze of moulded brick trefoils. North wall with five 2 light
trefoil windows with tracery over, 2 centre arched heads. South wall with 4
similar windows and angle buttresses. There are 10 carved stone faces over the
windows. South doorway, moulded 2 centre arched head, foliate capitals and
moulded bases to shafts, vertically boarded double doors. South porch, 2 bays
of 3 lights, moulded and cambered tie beams with moulded arched braces to centre
beam. Collars to each rafter pair. Ogee arched entrance and sidelights. 3
niches to gable apex. Front returns each with 3 cusped and traceried lights,
moulded mullions and posts, 3 rear lights plain. Dated 1706 West Tower of red
brick is crenellated of 3 stages with angled buttresses to western angles. Band
follows through third stage. 2 leaded and cross transomed round headed windows
to north and south faces, similar sounding louvres to all faces of belfry.
C19/C20 2 centre arched west doorway, shafts with moulded capitals, bases
eroded. Dog tooth moulding over. Double vertically boarded doors. Above this
door a plaque relates the building of the steeple. Small doorway with segmental
head to south wall, clock above second window. Small niche to right of clock.
Weathervane to apex. Interior. Chancel. Roof of 4 bays, side purlin queen
strut construction with braces to purlins. 1925 stained glass to east window.
1904 sedilia of carved wood with corn, vine and lily motifs. Wall brasses on
north wall, (1) Margaret Wyott 1526, woman in a pedimental head-dress. (2)
early C16 shield of arms, 3 owls and a sinister quarter impaling 4 bars on a
bend of 3 scallops. (3) Thos. Debanke 1606 - inscription. (4) Johannes Debanke
1601. Chancel arch C14 2 centred of 2 moulded orders, 3 attached moulded
shafts. Nave. C18 roof of 7 bays, double side purlins, raking struts, plain
tie beams with king posts. Mortised to hold ceiling joists which have not
survived. C14 octagonal font, moulded soffit. 4 carved faces to bases of
alternate angles, round stem, chamfered base. C19 stone pulpit with green
marble shafts to angles. Cruciform and dogtooth decoration, red marble panels.
C19 and C20 stained glass to most windows. West 2 bay gallery, now glazed-in.
Royal hatchment over central doors. C.A. Hewett, "Church Carpentry" 1974. RCHM
2.


Listing NGR: TM0041606840

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.