History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Esgors

A Grade II Listed Building in North Weald Bassett, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7278 / 51°43'40"N

Longitude: 0.1266 / 0°7'35"E

OS Eastings: 546969

OS Northings: 205369

OS Grid: TL469053

Mapcode National: GBR LF3.NTH

Mapcode Global: VHHMF.4TSV

Entry Name: Esgors

Listing Date: 26 April 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308858

English Heritage Legacy ID: 118214

Location: North Weald Bassett, Epping Forest, Essex, CM16

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: North Weald Bassett

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: North Weald St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Epping

Listing Text

TL 40 NE NORTH WEALD BASSETT HIGH ROAD
4/32 Esgors

II

House, mid-cl8, altered in C19. Red brickwork, Flemish bond, stone coping on
parapet, gables and pediment, slated roof. 2 st:oreys and half-cellar and
attics. Open pediment doorcase with 2 wooden Doric columns on stone plinths
at head of flight of 7 stone steps, 4-panel door of which the upper panels are
round-headed lights, fanlight over. On ground floor 2 double-hung sash windows,
of which the upper sash is divided by glazing bars into 6 lights, the lower sash
undivided, with flat arches of gauged brickwork. On first floor, 3 similar
windows. String course at level of base of pediment. Inside pediment dentils
and roundel bearing the date 1898, representing the latest stage of exterior
alteration. The front elevation comprises a symmetrical composition. 3 large
red brick chimneys. 'Esgors, formerly Isgoe, at Thornwood, is a square red brick
house dating from about 1750. It formerly had a frontage on the common but is
now set back about 100 yards from the main road'. (VCH, vol. IV, p.285).


Listing NGR: TL4696905369

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.