History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St. Oswald

A Grade II Listed Building in Warton, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1442 / 54°8'39"N

Longitude: -2.7695 / 2°46'10"W

OS Eastings: 349829

OS Northings: 472316

OS Grid: SD498723

Mapcode National: GBR 9N3J.65

Mapcode Global: WH83V.F3D9

Entry Name: Church of St. Oswald

Listing Date: 2 May 1968

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308887

English Heritage Legacy ID: 182018

Location: Warton, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA5

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Civil Parish: Warton

Built-Up Area: Warton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Warton St Oswald (or Holy Trinity)

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Warton

Listing Text

SD 47 SE WARTON MAIN STREET (West side)

3/250 Church of St. Oswald
2. 5. 1968
II


Church, late C15th with a C14th south aisle wall and a C16th north aisle
and north arcade. Restored 1848, when the south arcade was rebuilt, and
1842 when the clearstorey and north aisle windows were renewed and the roof
reconstructed (V.C.H. Vol.8 p.153). Pebbledashed with sandstone dressings
and slate roof. The church comprises a west tower, north and south aisles
with clearstoreys and a chancel roofed continuously with the nave. The
tower has diagonal buttresses, a late C19th battlemented parapet with
pinnacles and 3-light bell openings of similar date. The west wall has a
doorway of 2 chamfered orders with hood mould, now partly blocked. The north
aisle has mullioned windows with round heads to the lights. At the west end
is the doorway of 2 hollow-chamfered orders, with a hood mould. Above is a
small niche with an ogee head having a decorated shield. The north and east
chancel windows are late C19th with perpendicular tracery. The south aisle
has a late C15th window with perpendicular tracery in its east wall, with 2
similar windows with square heads in the south wall. On each side of the
C19th south porch is an early C14th window with reticulated tracery.
Interior has 6-bay arcades with octagonal piers and no chancel arch. In the
chapel at the east end of the south aisle is a triple sedilia with trefoil
arches. Set into the tower wall is a stone block with the coat of arms of
The Washington Family, formerly on the outside of the tower. The cylindrical
font, at the west end of the south aisle is set on a base dated '1661'. The
roof has softwood king posts and cusped decoration. Windows contain glass
of various C19th dates.


Listing NGR: SD4982972316

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.