History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Barnston, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8508 / 51°51'2"N

Longitude: 0.3976 / 0°23'51"E

OS Eastings: 565232

OS Northings: 219624

OS Grid: TL652196

Mapcode National: GBR NGK.Z79

Mapcode Global: VHJJF.VR12

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 20 February 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308903

English Heritage Legacy ID: 122491

Location: Barnston, Uttlesford, Essex, CM6

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford

Civil Parish: Barnston

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Barnston

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Felsted

Listing Text

TL 61 NE
7/27

BARNSTON,
PARSONAGE LANE,
Church of St Andrew

(Formerly listed as Barnston Parish Church Dedication Unknown)

20.2.67

II*

Church, comprising Nave c.1160-1170, probably of flint rubble but now plastered,
at the west end is a rectangular timber framed bell turret of re-used medieval
timber. The Chancel was probably rebuilt C13. The whole is plastered
externally, with a plain buttress to NE Chancel wall and 2 red brick, two stage
buttresses to East wall. The roofs are plain red tile. The octagonal, wooden
bell cote, reputed to be C17 has supports enclosing ogee arches, an octagonal
head, surmounted by a matching finial and weather vane. It is set on a square
base astride the west ridge and has 2 bells, reputed to be of c.1665. The East
window is C19 3 light early English style. The South wall has 6 windows, from
East to West (1) a restored 2 light window, (2) possibly a C13 low side window,
enlarged, with a segmental pointed head, (3) C15, cinquefoil lights with
vertical tracery under a square head, (4) C19, 2 lights with pointed heads, (5)
a rectangular wooden framed window immediately under the eaves and (6) a small
segmental pointed head wooden framed window. (5) and (6) with diamond leaded
lights. West wall has 2 small segmental pointed timber framed windows with
diamond paned leaded lights. North wall windows East to West. (1) Restored C19
two light similar to that in South wall, (2) a small C13 lancet with chamfered
and rebated jambs and head, (3) Restored 3 lights with square head, (4) and (5)
C12 round headed lights, 4 now blocked. Between these 2 windows is the blocked
late C13/early C14 door with hollow chamfered jambs and 2 centre arch. The C12
South doorway has a moulded semi-circular arch of 2 orders, the outer original
and the inner with C19 tympanum. The outer order of the jambs has attached
shafts with scalloped capitals, adjoining the west capital is a spiral ornament.
The door is probably C16 with feathered battens and ornamented strap hinges.
Internally the roof is plastered and of 6 and 7 cants. The Nave has 2 moulded
tie beams with 4 centred arch braces and moulded wall plates. The western
partition wall has C20 panelling and 2 matching panelled supports to a small
gallery which houses a Barrel Organ. This organ was built about 1790 by
Bevington and has 5 Barrels with 8 hymns to each. The stairs to the gallery
incorporate 3 C16 Balusters.
Fittings and Monuments. In SW window a possibly C14 panel, made up with C19
glass. Brass inscription on south wall to Peter Wood, 30 May 1525. Floor slabs
in Nave and Chancel to the Scott, Collard, Style and Exton families. A fine
Piscina in Chancel probably c.1200 - Double, with moulded interlacing semi-
circular arches, resting on a free shaft and jambs with attached shafts, all
with foliated capitals and moulded bases. Arches set in square moulded head
with foliated spandrels. Central lintel and responds with moulded and foliated
imposts, quatrefoil drains. (RCHM 1)


Listing NGR: TL6523219624

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.