This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.5547 / 50°33'17"N
Longitude: -3.625 / 3°37'30"W
OS Eastings: 284981
OS Northings: 74034
OS Grid: SX849740
Mapcode National: GBR QP.YJB9
Mapcode Global: FRA 379L.MKX
Entry Name: Teign Manor
Listing Date: 3 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1308925
English Heritage Legacy ID: 84676
Location: Teigngrace, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ12
Civil Parish: Teigngrace
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Teigngrace St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 87 SW
7/233 Teign Manor
Farmhouse, one time a parsonage, Dame School pre 1873, made into 3 cottages as part
of Templer Estate (Hearders Cottages), reconverted into house in C20. Probably C16
with circa early C17 rear wing and late C19 wing at lower end. Roughcast stone.
Welsh slate roof with gabled ends. 3-room and through passage plan, inner room
missing and passage blocked at rear. Early C17 kitchen wing at rear of lower end
and late C19 wing at front of lower end. Large lateral hall stack at rear with
heightened brick shaft and round oven at base. Gable end stack to rear wing with
heightened brick shaft. Another stack in rear corner of lower end. Winder stairs
at lower end of hall projecting into rear kitchen wing. 2 storeys. Asymmetrical
3-window range, with C20 casements with leaded panes in enlarged openings. Through
passage doorway to right of centre with C17 9-panel and studded door with chamfered
stiles and moulded rails. C20 wooden porch with muntins of screen reused as posts.
C19 gabled wing projecting left with blind gable end.
Interior: part of plank and muntin screen on lower side of through-passage
survives (5 planks and muntins) and chamfered jambs of doorway at opposite end.
Hall has deeply chamfered ceiling beam with step-stops and square section joists.
Large hall fireplace with chamfered granite jambs and reset chamfered granite
lintel. Chamfered ceiling beam in lower end room. In rear kitchen chamfered
ceiling beam with step stops and very wide kitchen fireplace with plain stone jambs
and chamfered wooden lintel with step stops and containing oven. Stair doorway on
rear at lower end of hall with chamfered cranked head doorframe to winder stairs
with wooden newel. Later wooden treads and small square stair window. Chamfered
cranked head doorframe at head of stairs, -widened later at base. Another cranked
head doorframe to blocked stair turret at rear of room over hall. C17 ovolo
moulded doorframe on first of main range.
Roof space not accessible but roof structure visible in upper rooms. Straight
principals with large purlins possibly trenched. Jointed cruck truss survives at
lower end, and another in rear wing.
Note: inside one of 2 small blocked windows on first floor of higher gable end, a
coin dated 1521 was found.
Listing NGR: SX8498174034
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings