History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

World's End Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Pebmarsh, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9575 / 51°57'26"N

Longitude: 0.6789 / 0°40'43"E

OS Eastings: 584165

OS Northings: 232163

OS Grid: TL841321

Mapcode National: GBR QJF.BFF

Mapcode Global: VHJJ6.Q277

Entry Name: World's End Farmhouse

Listing Date: 7 August 1952

Last Amended: 12 November 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308939

English Heritage Legacy ID: 114888

Location: Pebmarsh, Braintree, Essex, CO9

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Pebmarsh

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Pebmarsh St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Great Maplestead

Listing Text

PEBMARSH
TL 83 SW
3/90 (28/597) World's End Farmhouse
(formerly listed as World's End
7.8.52 House)

- II*
House. Late C16. Timber framed, plastered with exposed framing at front,
roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 4 bays facing SW, with one original rear
chimney stack and another rebuilt in C20. Rear stair tower. Single-storey
lean-to extension at right end, C19. 2 storeys and attics. Full-length jetty
with exposed joists and beams and 5 plain brackets. 3 early C19 sashes of 24
lights on ground floor, 3 C20 casements on first floor. C20 door in position of
original door. Also on ground floor, 4 blocked original windows, ovolo-moulded,
each with one ovolo mullion, and 4 similar windows on first floor, of which 3
have the original ovolo mullion. Evidence of 2 former oriels and a former
single-storey porch below the jetty, no oriels at first floor. Original
sprockets on rear elevation and both sides of stair tower. The interior has
jowled posts and some exposed close studding with curved braces trenched in. In
the left bay, an ovolo-moulded axial beam, the joists plastered to the soffits.
In the middle room, beams and joists ovolo-moulded with step stops. In the
right bay, plain joists of horizontal section. Mortices for a removed partition
on the first floor. One unglazed window in rear wall, complete with 4 diamond
mullions. Original second floor throughout, with rebated boards. In the left
gable of attic, blocked window with ovolo mouldings. Clasped purlin roof with
arched wind-bracing. The stair tower has original solid treads round a small
square well. This building retains an exceptional number of original features
of c.1570, with less subsequent alteration than is usually found. Moated site.
RCHM 4.


Listing NGR: TL8416532163

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.