History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fyfield Mill

A Grade II Listed Building in Fyfield, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7362 / 51°44'10"N

Longitude: 0.2746 / 0°16'28"E

OS Eastings: 557160

OS Northings: 206613

OS Grid: TL571066

Mapcode National: GBR MGM.475

Mapcode Global: VHHMH.QM1D

Entry Name: Fyfield Mill

Listing Date: 29 June 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308964

English Heritage Legacy ID: 118375

Location: Fyfield, Epping Forest, Essex, CM5

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: Fyfield

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Fyfield St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Good Easter

Listing Text

TL 50 NE FYFIELD QUEEN STREET
5/69 Fyfield Mill

29-JUN-1984

GV II


Water-powered corn mill, late C18, with late C19 machinery, restored in the later C20. Three storeys with a C20 slate-covered roof, weather-boarded on all elevations, timber frame on a red brick plinth of late C18 date. Single storey outshot over the turbine chamber to East and two storey annexe to South. Taking-in door, first floor West elevation. Late C19 small paned casements with pediments throughout.

INTERIOR
Late C18 framing, chamfered bridging beams have stops and all principal timbers are pegged and jointed. Diagonal braces to the wall frames and curved storey posts. A six foot head of water powers the turbine, by J. Armfield of Ringwood, installed in 1890. Complete machinery including a wallower and spur wheel with wooden cogs. Machinery enclosed by wooden screening on ground floor. Two control wheels and worm gear open and close the turbine chamber gates. Two pairs of French burr stones, one in a wooden tun, on first floor. Working sack hoist through both floors. At the second floor, there are surviving grain bins and a wire machine.

HISTORY
A mill has been on this site since the Saxon period and is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086. The current mill was probably erected on the site of a previous mill in c. 1790 and was powered with a water wheel. In 1890, the waterwheel was removed and a turbine installed. It was deemed uneconomic to repair in 1947, and was restored from in the later C20. Internal machinery restored early C21.

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE
Fyfield mill possesses a substantial C18 timber frame, and is an example of a corn mill exhibiting the latest phase of milling technology which is largely complete and in full working order. It is said to be the only example of a working turbine mill in Essex.

Listing NGR: TL5716006613

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.