History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Clock House, Stover School

A Grade II* Listed Building in Teigngrace, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5552 / 50°33'18"N

Longitude: -3.6438 / 3°38'37"W

OS Eastings: 283651

OS Northings: 74111

OS Grid: SX836741

Mapcode National: GBR QN.RKHM

Mapcode Global: FRA 378L.L7V

Entry Name: Clock House, Stover School

Listing Date: 23 August 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308973

English Heritage Legacy ID: 84665

Location: Teigngrace, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ12

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

Civil Parish: Teigngrace

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Teigngrace St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Teigngrace

Listing Text

TEIGNGRACE STOVER PARK
SX 87 SW

7/222 Clock House, Stover School
-
23.8.55
GV II*

Stable block to Stover House now classrooms. Circa 1830. Probably built for
eleventh Duke of Somerset. Carboniferous limestone ashlar some slatestone and
brick under dry slate roof. Large Neo-classical quadrangle of stabling, coach
houses and usual appturtenances. Built on sloping ground, 2 storeys and 3 storeys
at rear (north west). Symmetrical entrance range to south of 2 storeys with higher
centrepiece gatehouse breaking forward slightly, as do the flanking pavilions,
formed by the gable ends of the side ranges. 2 rendered axial stacks. The whole
elevation shares a plinth and a first floor sill-band which becomes imposts to a
high round-headed arch and returns along the sides of the carriageway. The archway
has a key-block and an echinus moulded cornice completes the first stage: the
second stage is square on plan with 2 offsets, clasping pilasters and a central
circular clockface. Next a three-step base to a square cupola with clasping
pilasters and 4 round-headed arches with raised architraves and key-blocks. Simple
eaves cornice and low-pitched pyramid slate roof with lead-roll hips culminating in
a ball-finial which carries a wrought-iron standard stayed by 4 scrolls: On top a
weather vane of fox and hounds topped by a ducal coronet on a cushion. The
terminating pavilions have low-pitched gables and tripartite hornless timber sash
windows, those to the ground floor with 8 panes and those above with 2 panes over
4, both with flat lintels: the remaining windows are sashes with 16 panes in the
ground floor and 4 panes over 8 in the first floor. The side elevations of
limestone rubble retain some 16 pane sashes to match among C20 intrusions. The
ground falls away quite steeply to the rear (north-west) which has a 3 storey
symmetrical 7 window range with the centre bay projecting slightly under a low-
pitched gable; Basement of slatestone rubble with plinth at window sill level and
all openings with cambered heads. There is a wide central doorway flanked by 3
windows each side, the outer ones blind. Basement windows are 16 pane sashes.
Continuous sill band to tall ground floor windows, which have sashes of 8 panes
over 12. First floor windows are a mixture of late C19 and C20 casements.
Entrance to the courtyard is through a tall 2 bay carriageway with thick outer
round arch and thin inner one; between the 2 another of brick painted to simulate
the limestone; blind arches to the side walls with two C20 doorways. 2 gates hung
on outer arch have 6 beaded flush panels each with ramped copings. The floor of
the carriageway and the yard is of granite setts draining to runnels.
Within the quadrangle the north face of the south (entrance) range and the south
face of the north (rear) range are single storey arcades. That to the entrance
range was infilled in C20. 2 brick round arches on stone piers and impost blocks
to either side of the gateway. Opposite is an open single storey full width brick
arcade of 7 bays: over the centre arch, a sash window between clasping pilaster
strips, the lower gable above perhaps altered. Behind this arcade 5 pairs of
boarded carriage doors and a pedestrian door in the return at each end.
The inward faces of the side (east and west) ranges were symmetrical and matching:
2-storey, 4-window fronts and a central slightly projecting bay under a low-pitched
gable with first floor loading door in plain aedicule on brackets and blind walling
below this; 16 pane sash windows. C20 changes are a central doorway to the west
range and a flight of external concrete steps to the first floor door of the east
range.
Interiors and clock not inspected. C20 flat-roofed extension and conservatory on
south face excluded from listing.
A good and externally almost complete stable block probably built shortly after the
eleventh Duke of Somerset bought Stover in 1829. It superceded the old stables
(q.v.) east of the house.


Listing NGR: SX8365174111

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.