History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Braceby and Sapperton, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8933 / 52°53'35"N

Longitude: -0.4873 / 0°29'14"W

OS Eastings: 501863

OS Northings: 333944

OS Grid: TF018339

Mapcode National: GBR FRV.PLR

Mapcode Global: WHGKR.HJ5S

Entry Name: The Hall

Listing Date: 19 February 1952

Last Amended: 20 September 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308974

English Heritage Legacy ID: 193226

Location: Braceby and Sapperton, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG34

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Kesteven

Civil Parish: Braceby and Sapperton

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Sapperton with Braceby

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Ropsley

Listing Text

TF 03 SW BRACEBY AND SAPPERTON SAPPERTON

6/11 The Hall [Formerly listed
as Sapperton Manor House
19.2.52 and barn (now garage)]

G.V. II

Small country house; possibly C16 with C17 and C18 alterations and additions
and minor C19 and C20 alterations. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar
dressings, collyweston slate, slate and plain tiled roofs with stone coped
gables and saddleback ridge piece, with 2 moulded ridge stacks. T-plan.
2 storey with attics with long main front having irregular fenestration and
much evidence of different phases with four clear vertical building lines. An
off centre C19 four panelled door with timber lintel. To the right a single
light and a blocked opening, to the left one 2-light mullioned and two 3-light
mullioned windows and a further 3 light timber casement set partly in a higher
blocked opening which has its cornice still intact. Above are two 3-light and
one 2-light mullioned windows, one single light and a 2-light timber casement
and lintel. All C17 mullions are ovolo, some restored, and all have cornices
over. In the plain tiled roof are 2 small dormers with sloping roofs. The
side front has a 2 bay wing with slate roof, added in c.1700 and the projecting
gabled one bay end of the main front. The rear wing consists of three 2-light
C20 stone mullion windows and a C20 door. The projecting wing has one C17
4-light mullioned window with cornice and in the gable a C20 2-light timber
casement in C17 opening. The rear of the projecting wing has 2 C17 3-light
mullion windows. The rear has a collyweston slate roof, a door opening with
4 centre head and cornice now blocked by later glazing bar sash, and 2 further
3 light mullion windows above. The interior has a large inglenook fireplace
in the entrance hall and a further C17 stone fireplace in the Hall, said to
have come from the first floor. In the rear Drawing Room is a C18 fitted
corner cupboard. The C17 butt purlin roof is largely intact.


Listing NGR: TF0186333944

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.