History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brewsters

A Grade II Listed Building in Lamarsh, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9864 / 51°59'11"N

Longitude: 0.7521 / 0°45'7"E

OS Eastings: 589074

OS Northings: 235570

OS Grid: TL890355

Mapcode National: GBR RKG.JYT

Mapcode Global: VHKFH.ZBGK

Entry Name: Brewsters

Listing Date: 21 June 1962

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1308992

English Heritage Legacy ID: 114843

Location: Lamarsh, Braintree, Essex, CO8

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Lamarsh

Built-Up Area: Lamarsh

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Lamarsh Holy Innocents

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Middleton

Listing Text

LAMARSH
TL 83 NE
2/54 (25/534) Brewsters
2.6.62
- II
Pair of C16 houses comprising a 'Unit System', now joined. Timber framed,
plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. The larger house comprises a
main range of 3 bays aligned N-S and a 2-bay crosswing at the S end, with an
internal chimney stack at the junction, and an external chimney stack at the N
end. 2 rear wings, one with an end chimney stack, and a lean-to with a roof of
red clay pantiles. The smaller house is immediately to the NW of it, arranged
corner to corner, of 2 bays aligned E-W, with an internal chimney stack at the W
end and an external chimney stack at the E end. A rear extension of the larger
house now connects it to the smaller house, but they were built as separate
though adjacent dwellings to accommodate two households working the same land.
Crosswing of 2 storeys with attic, the remainder of one storey with attics. E
elevation, one 6-panel door in pedimented doorcase, early C19, one half-glazed
door, C19, 2 sash windows of 16 lights, early C19, one C20 casement, and 2 C16
windows each with one hollow-moulded mullion and C20 glazing. First floor, 2
similar sash windows, and 2 C20 casements in gabled dormers. Attic, one C20
casement. The N chimney stack has grouped diagonal shafts, rebuilt. The
plaster of this elevation is old, with a pricked design, a rare survival. The
larger house has chamfered beams and joists with lamb's tongue stops, twin
square-headed doorways into the N (service) bay of which one is now blocked,
some oak panelling of c.1620 in the middle room, and in the crosswing C18 pine
panelling. The upper floor has jowled posts, exposed studding with straight
braces trenched to the inside, original floor boards and one Tudor doorhead; the
roof is of clasped purlin construction, with some re-used smoke-blackened
rafters. This house was built c.1570 in 2 storeys from the outset. The smaller
house is medieval in type but probably not much earlier in date, with an
original lodged floor in the E bay, and a C17 inserted floor in the W bay, which
originally formed a one-bay hall. RCHM 10.


Listing NGR: TL8907435570

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.