History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wreyland Manor

A Grade II Listed Building in Lustleigh, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6179 / 50°37'4"N

Longitude: -3.7148 / 3°42'53"W

OS Eastings: 278779

OS Northings: 81201

OS Grid: SX787812

Mapcode National: GBR QK.1KB8

Mapcode Global: FRA 373F.NL4

Entry Name: Wreyland Manor

Listing Date: 23 August 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1309018

English Heritage Legacy ID: 84646

Location: Lustleigh, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

Civil Parish: Lustleigh

Built-Up Area: Lustleigh

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Lustleigh

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Lustleigh

Listing Text

LUSTLEIGH WREYLAND
SX 7881

9/203 Wreyland Manor
-
23.8.55
GV II

House. C16 with C20 additions. Restored by Cecil Torr in early C20 (after 1912).
Roughcast stone with thatched roof. C20 granite chimney stack designed in C16
manner on each gable. On ridge, off-centre to right, an old granite ashlar stack
with C20 top matching the gable stacks. 3-room and through-passage plan with long
lower end. 2-storeyed entrance-porch at front; rounded stair turret to rear of
hall, leading out of through-passage. Added rear wing on left; added lean-to on
right. 2 storeys. 6 window front; wood casements with leaded panes. Entrance
porch is of exposed granite rubble with large quoins in ground storey. Chamfered
granite outer doorway with approximately 2-centred head. To left of it an old
carved date of 1680. Interior of porch has old stone seats at either side, but the
side-walls above have C20 open timberwork. Cobbled floor with old granite kerb at
front. House doorway has straight-headed chamfered wood frame with worn stops,
chamfered wood lintel above with scroll-stops having 2 notches. Plank door with
wrought iron strap hinges having fleurs-de-lis terminals; later applied wooden
ribs. Door carries graffiti, including names and date of 1779. Upper storey of
porch is timber-framed and jettied on all 3 sides; joist ends chamfered and rounded
at front. In front wall a C20 wood ovolo-mullioned window of 3 lights with
patterned leaded panes; wooden hood-mould above.
Interior: through-passage has plank and muntin screen to left, with some studs
reset. Studs and head beam have scratch mouldings; studs chamfered with rounded
step-stops having 2 notches. To right is the granite ashlar back of the hall
fireplace with chamfered plinth; cornice at top may have been hacked back. Doorway
to hall has chamfered wood frame, the right jamb re-set. A winding stone staircase
in turret at rear; 2-light wood window with flat splay mullion, restored. Lower
room largely remodelled, but has chamfered upper floor beam with scroll-stops, wood
mullioned windows, restored, at rear. Hall fireplace has hollow-moulded granite
jambs, chamfered wood lintel, probably a later insertion, with step-stops that do
not quite fit the opening. At rear an oven with granite-framed opening and shallow
granite shelf; domed stone roof and side-walls of large pieces of granite. Upper
floor beams chamfered, with mutilated stops. Wall at upper end is of C20 brick,
but a little in front of it is a beam chamfered only on the hall side and with a
closed truss above it in the second storey; it could just be the remains of an
internal jetty. Second storey has few features, except that the rooms are open to
the roof over the hall and lower end. The roof at upper end, beyond the brick
wall, is C20. Trusses over hall are a primitive type of jointed cruck, with the
plain foot of each principal rafter tenoned into a vertical wall post; over the
lower end the foot of the principal rests on the wall-top, but has a vertical strut
halved on to it. All the trusses have through purlins, some lightly trenched, some
simply resting on the backs of the principals; there seems to have been no ridge
piece. Collars are cambered with shaped ends halved to the principals, but all are
probably restorations. The.closed truss already mentioned has a tie-beam, but with
no evidence of struts or framework other than wattle and daub below it. Doorway to
room over porch has chamfered wood frame with scroll-stops having 2 notches.
Source: letter to Country Life, 31.7.1958.


Listing NGR: SX7878181200

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.