This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.801 / 51°48'3"N
Longitude: 1.0198 / 1°1'11"E
OS Eastings: 608306
OS Northings: 215687
OS Grid: TM083156
Mapcode National: GBR TQT.0MZ
Mapcode Global: VHKGF.MZGQ
Entry Name: Martello Tower
Listing Date: 4 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1309070
English Heritage Legacy ID: 119984
Location: St. Osyth, Tendring, Essex, CO16
Civil Parish: St. Osyth
Built-Up Area: Point Clear
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: St Osyth Saints Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TM 01 NE ST OWE COLNE WAY, POINT CLEAR
5/151 Martello Tower
Martello Tower. Circa 1808-1812. Gault brick. Stone parapet and drain, stone
plaque under. 3 windows at half height visible with stone surrounds and
keystones, the fourth probably concealed by C20 toilet block. Door at half
height, stone surround, segmental head. Stone chute under. 2 C20 doors to base
of tower. Recently used Asia restaurant and now with cafe addition to right of
door but still basically intact. One of the Clacton Defence Towers q.v.11/11.
The Martello Tower at Beacon Hill, Point Clear has been demolished.
Listing NGR: TM0830615687
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings