History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Glentworth, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3813 / 53°22'52"N

Longitude: -0.5795 / 0°34'46"W

OS Eastings: 494584

OS Northings: 388106

OS Grid: SK945881

Mapcode National: GBR SYDB.BL

Mapcode Global: WHGHD.289M

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 16 December 1964

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1309078

English Heritage Legacy ID: 196726

Location: Glentworth, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, DN21

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey

Civil Parish: Glentworth

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Glentworth St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Hemswell

Listing Text

SK 98 NW GLENTWORTH CHURCH STREET
(North side)

4/35 Church of
16.12.64 St. Michael

G.V. II*

Parish church. Late C11, late C12, mid C14, late C16, 1782,
restored C19, C20. Coursed ironstone and limestone rubble,
ironstone and limestone ashlar with slate roofs and stone coped
gables. West tower, nave and chancel in one with south porch
and north-west lean-to. Late C11 tower with rough quoins. Mid
C14 west window of 3 pointed, cusped lights with 4 heart-shaped
mouchettes above under a pointed head with hood mould. Small,
narrow, round headed C11 light above. South side has small,
narrow, round headed light with flat hood mould and impost
blocks, high up. String course runs beneath bell openings on all
4 sides, restored somewhat in C19. Each bell opening of paired
round headed openings divided by shaft with large, crude volute
capital and palmette ornament down length of outer face. East
side has earlier roof line visible beneath bell opening and clock
above. Moulded parapet above. North side of tower has C20
lean-to with plank door. North side of nave has 3 C19 windows
each with 2 cusped lights and large mouchette above under round
head. Plain chancel wall, rebuilt late C16. East end with
quoins, gable and large rectangular 5 light C16 mullion and
transom window, the upper lights with shallow pointed heads.
South side of chancel has large blocked rectangular opening to
east and small late C12 doorway to west with sinuous semi-
elliptical head supported by single shaft with volute capital to
left and broad leafed Canterburyesque capital to right. Plain
hood mould and plank door. C19 rectangular window to west, of 3
lights with shallow pointed heads. Nave has 2 round headed
windows each of 2 cusped, pointed lights with C19 tracery. C19
gabled south porch with round headed east and west lights and
plain round headed doorway. Porch interior with plain round
headed doorway with plank door. Late C11 interior tower arch
with round head and large impost blocks. Broad, pointed double
chamfered early C13 chancel arch with semi-circular responds and
capitals with stiff trefoil leaves patched with plaster. C19
pews, lecturn, pulpit and altar rail. C20 font. Two C19 chairs
re-using C16 traceried panels. Large tomb of north wall of
chancel of Sir Christopher Wray, died 1592 and wife, in pink,
white and blue-grey marble. Two recumbent effigies, Sir
Christopher above and a little behind his wife, he in red robes,
black cap and thick ruff; she in black robes, large ruff and
hood. 4 kneeling white marble daughters below. Ornate tomb
recess above with flanking pink marble columns with white and
gold Corinthian capitals. Undersurface of recess decorated
with white and gold bay leaves. Plaque inscribed above with
raised plaque above with Sir Christopher's son at prayer flanked
by coats of arms and obelisks. Large white marble monument on
south side of chancel, to Elizabeth Sanderson, died 1714, by
Edward Hurst. 3 central cherub heads beneath ornate baldacchino,
flanked by columns with Corinthian capitals with standing putti
beyond.


Listing NGR: SK9458488106

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.