This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1134 / 52°6'48"N
Longitude: 0.2029 / 0°12'10"E
OS Eastings: 550941
OS Northings: 248409
OS Grid: TL509484
Mapcode National: GBR M9W.J3R
Mapcode Global: VHHKQ.G4MP
Entry Name: Pampisford Hall
Listing Date: 29 October 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1309185
English Heritage Legacy ID: 52043
Location: Pampisford, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB22
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Pampisford
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Pampisford St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 54 NW PAMPISFORD ROYSTON ROAD
5/194 Pampisford Hall
Country house. 1820-31, main front rebuilt 1830-41 with additions and alterations
c.1860 from designs by George Goldie (1828-87), for Wm Parker Hamond (d.1873);
redecorated by his son, Wm Parker Hamond (d.1884), in Italian and French Renaissance
styles, 1875. Additions, 1912 for J Binney. Gault brick above stone plinth,
slated and lead roofs. Two and three storeys. Plan, original main south-east
block with long north-west wing and kitchen projecting to north-east, infilled
with dining room and staircase hall, both extended beyond north-east facade during
1867 alterations when original wing is raised to three storeys and loggia added.
South-east elevation, three 'bay' projecting in shallow curve. Central glazed
door with side lights approached by stone steps. Two three-light dummy hung
sash windows; three first floor single light hung sash windows. Projecting moulded
wooden eaves cornice with shaped brackets carried around the building. South-
west elevation from right hand; three garden casements with later hung sash windows
without glazing bars with original wooden pelmets and architrave, three similar
first floor windows without pelmets and architrave. Loggia of four bays with
paired columns; one three-light and two single-light hung sash windows; three
'bays' to left hand with three single-light hung sash windows. Balustraded Doric
side entrance porch to north-east. Interior: Main rooms of south-east block
have elaborate moulded and enriched cornices. Library chimney piece of panelled
yellow marble, drawing room with original white marble chimney piece with terminal
figures, enriched frieze and central figure group; rich neo-Pompeiian wallpaper.
Anteroom entrance to vestibule has two square columns between pilasters with
an entablature, the vestibule has a painted plaster-vault ceiling. The park
contains 1,000 foreign species of trees and shrubs imported by the Parker Hamond
and Binney families; the formal gardens were designed by G Marnock (VCH).
RCHM Report 1951
VCH Vol VI p107
Drawings 1820+ and 1830+ in private ownership
RIBA Sessional Pepers 1886-7 (obituary to George Goldie, Pampisford Hall listed
as one of his works)
Sale Catelogue. 1893. CRO.
Listing NGR: TL5094148409
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings