History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Emplins

A Grade II* Listed Building in Gamlingay, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1551 / 52°9'18"N

Longitude: -0.186 / 0°11'9"W

OS Eastings: 524196

OS Northings: 252309

OS Grid: TL241523

Mapcode National: GBR J4T.V31

Mapcode Global: VHGMV.Q3J7

Entry Name: The Emplins

Listing Date: 21 February 1972

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1309190

English Heritage Legacy ID: 52699

Location: Gamlingay, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, SG19

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Gamlingay

Built-Up Area: Gamlingay

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Gamlingay St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Gamlingay

Listing Text

GAMLINGAY CHURCH END
TL 2452 (South west side)

12/35
21.2.72 No 2 (The Emplins)

GV II*

House, formerly rectory house. Mid-late C15. Open hall with north and south
crosswings. Extension added and floor and stack inserted C16. Timber frame,
exposed, and rendered wattle and daub infill. Plain tiled roofs. Red brick
ridge stack inserted into cross-passage in south crosswing. Early-mid C16 red
brick projecting side stack added to north crosswing with diagonally set
shafts. Plan of double ended open hall house originally with extensive ranges
(now demolished) of service and outbuildings to the south east. (1601 Map of
Gamlingay). Two storeys. Hall is in three bays, with south bay structurally
integrated with the south crosswing. Framing of close set studs of
substantial scantling. Some inserted windows of late C20, but the sill of one
first floor window is visible on west side. South crosswing of three bays.
The first floor is jettied at east end. Jetty beam on joists carried on
shaped brackets rising off fragments of four half-octagonal pilasters.
Doorway to cross-passage in east end leads to an original porch with plank and
muntin partition wall on south side. Four centred hollow moulded outer and
inner archways in square heads and double chamfered beams spanning the
cross-passage. The cross-passage has been blocked by the inserted stack. At
the west end of the cross-passage the original site of the doorway is visible
in the wall. The present entry on the west side is now in the north wall of
the south crosswing. This has a reset C16 door of three ridged planks. A two
light diamond mullion window remains in the west gable end and in the south
side wall are two windows each of three segmental lights in square head.
There has been some restoration of the mullions. The framing in this
crosswing is similar to that of the hall range. The north crosswing is of two
building periods. The two bays to the west are probably contemporary with the
rest of the house. The framing is exposed externally. The north wall has
been substantially rebuilt in brick. The roof has also been rebuilt and new
rafters inserted except for the west end where the truss with downward bracing
remains. At first floor there is an eight light diamond mullion window with
modern mullions and original shutter groove. At the east end this crosswing
was extended by two bays in C16. The-wall of the extension is butted against
that of the original wall. Two storeys with the first floor jettied in the
south side. The joists are carried on shaped brackets. Ovolo mullion to a
two-light window at first floor. At the east end of the extension there is
some structural evidence to indicate that the wing has been curtailed.
Interior: Hall range has inserted floor with deep stop chamfered main beams.
Back to back hearths. Reset linenfold panelling to a door in the ground floor
and broach stops to middle rails. The roof is in three bays with a central
display truss. Clasped side purlin roof with the purlin jointed to the
principal of the display truss. Hollow moulded principal rafters, purlins and
collars. Soot blackened generally. Paired wind bracing. The side wall of
the south crosswing forms the roof partition between the south crosswing and
hall. The south crosswing roof is structurally similar to that of the hall
range. There is an original partition wall between second and third bays at
the west end from ground floor to the roof space. The tie beams are cambered
and arch braced. The late C15 part of the north crosswing has a first floor
chamber painted c.1600. There are biblical texts in black lettering with
Italianate ornament, grotesques, acanthus scrollwork, putti, and fanciful
motifs. The wall paintings in this chamber remain on all four walls, although
on the north wall some have been removed following the rebuilding. The wall
painting of c.1600 overlays earlier vermilion painting. A partition wall in
this room, reset, has linen fold panelling. The chamber adjoining, added C16
is also painted with a foliate motif on one stud and part of the wall plate
having so far been revealed. The house is the former rectory and was leased
by Merton College. In 1483 it was leased to Thomas Byrd who probably built
the present house. A map of 1602 in the possession of Merton College shows
extensive ranges of farm and other-buildings round a courtyard of which the
existing house remains.

RCHM: West Cambs mon (7)
E C Rouse: Report on Scheme of Wall Paintings (1977)
VCH: Cambs vol V
Pevsner: Buildings of England p 391
C Brown: Mss Notes


Listing NGR: TL2419652309

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.