This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.457 / 53°27'25"N
Longitude: -2.1012 / 2°6'4"W
OS Eastings: 393378
OS Northings: 395584
OS Grid: SJ933955
Mapcode National: GBR FXRG.WH
Mapcode Global: WHB9Q.PCMN
Entry Name: Church of St Anne
Listing Date: 20 July 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1309251
English Heritage Legacy ID: 212705
Location: Tameside, M34
Electoral Ward/Division: Denton North East
Built-Up Area: Denton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Haughton St Anne
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
DENTON SAINT ANNE'S ROAD
SJ93379558 (East Side)
1478/4/51 Church of St Anne
Church. 1880-2. J.M. and H. Taylor. Brick with clay tile roof.
Cruciform plan with a crossing tower and an undercroft
beneath chancel and transepts. Free Gothic style with
vernacular details. 3-bay nave (without aisles) has
weathered buttresses, 2, 3 or 4-light mullion and transom
windows with cusped heads, and overhanging eaves. A
polygonal baptistry projects at the west and a gabled porch
on south. The transepts have a 5-light window (north) and a
circular window with mullions and tracery (south). 5-light
west window to 3-bay chancel which is flanked by a vestry
with a hipped roof and an organ chamber with an outshut
roof. The undercroft with its mullion windows adds to the
height and splendour of the building. Large crossing tower,
roofed in two stages has a stepped-in timber-framed bell
stage and a square swept spire with gabled dormer openings.
Bold diagonal buttresses and a conically roofed octagonal
stair turret contribute to the romantic appearance.
INTERIOR: faced in polychromatic brick to great effect.
Sturdy roof structure employs arch-braced roof trusses
springing from carved stone corbels. Double-chamfered brick
crossing arches and an octopartite vault. The arches are
supported at the east by short freestanding polished granite
columns creating squinches. The whole interior (including
undercroft) is rich in craftsmanship in glass, iron, stone
and ceramics. Glass is by Heaton Butler and Bayne; mosaic by
Salviati and Co. of Venice. One of the Taylors' most
imaginative works showing individuality and opulence in most
aspects of design and craftsmanship. E. Joseph Sidebotham,
local philosopher and industrialist, was the patron.
Listing NGR: SJ9337895584
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings