History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Stephen

A Grade II Listed Building in St Peter's, Tameside

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.475 / 53°28'29"N

Longitude: -2.1153 / 2°6'55"W

OS Eastings: 392443

OS Northings: 397589

OS Grid: SJ924975

Mapcode National: GBR FXN8.V1

Mapcode Global: WHB9J.GXYD

Entry Name: Church of St Stephen

Listing Date: 31 May 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1309267

English Heritage Legacy ID: 212692

Location: Tameside, M34

County: Tameside

Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter's

Built-Up Area: Ashton-under-Lyne

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Audenshaw St Stephen

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Dukinfield

Listing Text

AUDENSHAW AUDENSHAW ROAD
SJ 99 NW (south side)

4/39 Church of
31/05/66 St. Stephen

G.V. II

Church. 1845-6. By E. H. Shellard for the Church
Commissioners but with a chancel added in 1900. Hammer-
dressed stone with slate roof. 3-sided gallery plan with
central west tower, chancel and vestry. Gothic revival. 6-
bay aisles (no clerestory) with weathered plinth, continuous
sill band and coped parapet above eaves band. Each bay has a
weathered gableted buttress and a paired lancet window with
colonnettes and hoodmoulds. Doors below gables in western-
most bays. Corner pinnacles. 5-stage tower with shallow
angled buttresses with nook-shafts, west door, lancet
openings, clock-faces in front of a blind arcade, gargoyles
and a broach spire with lucarnes. Later chancel uses similar
architectural vocabulary with a 3-lancet east window.
Interior: Double-chamfered nave arcade with heavy shaft-
rings to quatrefoil columns which support the arcaded
gallery. Arch-braced roof trusses on moulded corbels. C20
partition below rear gallery. Timber pulpit and stalls.
Stone font. Stained glass.


Listing NGR: SJ9244397589

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.