History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Churchview

A Grade II Listed Building in Little Abington, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1206 / 52°7'14"N

Longitude: 0.234 / 0°14'2"E

OS Eastings: 553044

OS Northings: 249271

OS Grid: TL530492

Mapcode National: GBR M9Y.003

Mapcode Global: VHHKK.0YKR

Entry Name: Churchview

Listing Date: 30 September 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1309297

English Heritage Legacy ID: 52014

Location: Little Abington, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB21

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Little Abington

Built-Up Area: Little Abington

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Great and Little Abington

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Hildersham

Listing Text

TL 5249 LITTLE ABINGTON CHURCH LANE
(North Side)

9/33 No. 36
(Churchview)

GV II


House. C15, C16, rebuilt in late C17 with C20 renovations. Timber-framed
and plastered, and partly exposed timber-frame at first floor. Thatched
roofs, half hipped to left hand. Plastered brick ridge stack to left of
centre and end stack to south gable of cross wing. Two storeys and cellar,
three unit plan with main range to left hand totally rebuilt in late C17, and
short C16 cross wing reroofed. C20 boarded door in original lobby entry
position. Two ground floor casement windows and one first floor casement
window to cross wing. Three first floor C18 iron casements with leaded
lights. Interior: Three hearths include one in cross wing with chamfered
elliptical arch. Exposed floor frames and wall frame showing reused timbers
and part of the truss of the original medieval hall with wide tension braces
from a central post. Openings for two mullioned windows- with rebates for
shutters in rear gable of cross wing; 'YY James Bradford' on a timber in
south wall. Two medieval stone niches, possibly introduced by Mr Ricketts,
stone mason, (VCH) working on the church in the C19. During recent
renovations carved timbers were introduced from Blackthorn Cottage, Earls
Colne, Suffolk.

R.C.H.M. Report 1951
V.C.H., Vol. VI, p13


Listing NGR: TL5304449271

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.