History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brownhill Bridge Mill

A Grade II Listed Building in Saddleworth, Oldham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5542 / 53°33'15"N

Longitude: -2.0093 / 2°0'33"W

OS Eastings: 399479

OS Northings: 406401

OS Grid: SD994064

Mapcode National: GBR GWDB.SM

Mapcode Global: WHB96.3XGM

Entry Name: Brownhill Bridge Mill

Listing Date: 3 July 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1309426

English Heritage Legacy ID: 212109

Location: Saddleworth, Oldham, OL3

County: Oldham

Civil Parish: Saddleworth

Built-Up Area: Uppermill

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Dobcross Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Saddleworth

Listing Text

SADDLEWORTH DOBCROSS NEW
SD 9906 ROAD
(north side)
9/96 Brownhill Bridge
- Mill
- II
Water-powered woollen mill, now workshop and house. 1772.
Later additions and alterations. Hammer-dressed watershot
stone with slate and graduated stone slate roof. Total of 3
storeys and 4 bays. The early mill forms the right-hand bay
and has a segmental-headed tail-race opening on the ground
floor with 3-light window to right. 12-light first floor
window with door inserted to left and 13-light second floor
window. All windows have recessed flat-faced mullion windows
with king mullions. The right gable and rear have been
considerably rebuilt, the rectangular windows having stone
lintels and sills. The mill was extended to left probably in
late C18 and again at the rear in C20. Each bay on the
ground and first floors has 2, 3 and 4-light recessed flat-
faced stone mullion windows; large vented second floor
openings were inserted in the C20 when it was used as a
tannery. King-post roof trusses and remains of winch
mechanism. The mill was first used for teazing and then
scribbling. It continued to be used in the processing of
wool until the mid C20 and was powered by the water-wheel
until the 1920's. B. Barnes, Saddleworth Heritage, 1975.


Listing NGR: SD9947906401

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.