This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4826 / 53°28'57"N
Longitude: -2.3558 / 2°21'20"W
OS Eastings: 376488
OS Northings: 398486
OS Grid: SJ764984
Mapcode National: GBR CXZ5.SB
Mapcode Global: WH988.SQDK
Entry Name: Av Roe House
Listing Date: 20 August 1981
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1309434
English Heritage Legacy ID: 211940
Location: Salford, M30
Electoral Ward/Division: Barton
Built-Up Area: Eccles
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Patricroft Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SJ 79 NE,
LIVERPOOL ROAD (north side),
No. 262 (A.V. Roe House)
House, now offices. Early C19. Flemish bond brick with slate
roof. 3 x 2 bays with two storeys and addition to rear.
Symmetrical elevation with projecting plinth, dentilled box
gutters and a hipped roof with brick chimney stacks. The
central panelled door has a fanlight and an open pediment on
3/4 Doric Columns. Two ground and three first-floor 4-pane sash
windows with stone lintels and sills and a stone surround to
the central first floor window. Similar window openings to
sides, some of which are blind and one of which retains its
original 16-pane sash. Tripartite sash windows to rear
addition on right return. The house was that of James
Nasmyth from (1836-43) who invented the steam hammer in 1842.
Also the birthplace of A. V. Roe (1877-1958) who designed,
built and flew the first British aeroplane in 1908 and was a
key figure in the development of aviation.
Listing NGR: SJ7648898486
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings