This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0939 / 52°5'38"N
Longitude: 0.1609 / 0°9'39"E
OS Eastings: 548127
OS Northings: 246156
OS Grid: TL481461
Mapcode National: GBR L8P.RGV
Mapcode Global: VHHKP.QMXN
Entry Name: Temple Farmhouse
Listing Date: 17 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1309448
English Heritage Legacy ID: 52891
Location: Duxford, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB22
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Duxford
Built-Up Area: Duxford
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Duxford St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 4846 DUXFORD MILL LANE
16/61 Temple Farmhouse
Farmhouse now a house. Possibly late medieval, rebuilt late C16 and early C17
with C18, C19 and C20 alterations and additions, part refaced in brick in
1902. Timber-framed and plastered, painted brick. Plain tiled roofs half
hipped to right hand with C19 gault brick stack; stack to left hand in front
of ridge. Two storey main range, double pile plan with rear gabled wing;
lower range of one storey and attic to south with C20 additions to east.
Original building of an aisled hall survives at least in plan, rebuilt in late
C16 or C17 and walls raised as kitchen to an extension of two units with large
central stack to north; (the rear wing may formerly have been an entrance or
stair turret). West elevation: Three bay facade with central doorway, ogee
shaped corrugated iron roof to open porch, half glazed door; exposed niches
of red brick to internal stack to left hand. One large bay window (1902) to
left hand and two first floor and one ground floor c.1800 horizontal sliding
sash windows with small panes in segmental brick arches; two similar but
larger windows to lower range and one dormer window. Interior: Exposed
timber-frame and floor-frames show different building periods; roofs rebuilt
with some oriignal imber. Three open fireplaces sealed or relined. The
farmhouse is sited where the Templars' manor house and grange buildings were
also sited in the C14 within a rectangular moat.
V.C.H., Vol. VI, p204
Listing NGR: TL4812746156
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings