History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Saint John the Baptist

A Grade II Listed Building in Saddleworth West and Lees, Oldham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5425 / 53°32'33"N

Longitude: -2.0679 / 2°4'4"W

OS Eastings: 395594

OS Northings: 405099

OS Grid: SD955050

Mapcode National: GBR GW0G.2T

Mapcode Global: WHB9C.67J2

Entry Name: Church of Saint John the Baptist

Listing Date: 22 August 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1309497

English Heritage Legacy ID: 212447

Location: Oldham, OL4

County: Oldham

Electoral Ward/Division: Saddleworth West and Lees

Built-Up Area: Lees

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Hey St John

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Moorside

Listing Text

SD 90 NE LEES SAINT JOHN'S STREET
(west side)
5/43 Church of
St. John the
1/66 Baptist
22/8/67
- II
Church. 1742, extended west by 2 bays 1772, alterations in
1842 and 1868 (the latter by H. Cockburn). Hammer-dressed
stone with slate roof. 3-sided gallery plan but with a 2-bay
chancel. Total of 8 bays with 2 tiers of windows. Quoins,
rusticated to left, first floor band and eaves cornice.
Arched doors beneath gables to bays 1 and 7. All the windows
are Cl9 Gothic revival, of 3 lights with cusped heads on the
ground floor and 2 lights with tracery on the first. 5-
light east window with curvilinear tracery. Lean-to against
west end retains one of the original semi-circular headed
windows with keystone and impost capitals. The open
octagonal cupola partly dates from the earlier church and
bears the date of the various restorations on the clock
faces. Interior: Cockburn was responsible for renewing the
gallery which has an arcaded parapet, rests on fancy cast-
iron columns and carries the organ loft. He also created the
chancel within the existing envelope by inserting a triple
chancel arch with dogtooth enrichment and quatrefoil
columns, timber screens separating the side chapel.
Alabaster pulpit (reduced in height). Stained glass, much by
Comere and Capronnier, 1884-96. Large C20 hall attached to
north.


Listing NGR: SD9559405099

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.