History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

White Roses

A Grade II Listed Building in Reach, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2724 / 52°16'20"N

Longitude: 0.2923 / 0°17'32"E

OS Eastings: 556504

OS Northings: 266274

OS Grid: TL565662

Mapcode National: GBR M82.GQM

Mapcode Global: VHHK0.04XV

Entry Name: White Roses

Listing Date: 1 December 1951

Last Amended: 15 March 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1309612

English Heritage Legacy ID: 49067

Location: Reach, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB25

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Reach

Built-Up Area: Reach

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Burwell with Reach

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Burwell

Listing Text

In the entry for:
REACH THE HYTHE
(south-west side)

White Roses

The item shall be amended to read: THE HYTHE
(south-west side)

1.12.51 White Roses
(formerly listed as
Old Vicarage)

------------------------------------

TL 5666 REACH THE HYTHE
(south-west side)

13/154 White Roses

II

House, formerly the vicarage. Early C16 with alterations in
c.1700 and C19. Original building timber-framed, jettied with
three unit plan and two storey gabled porch to south-east
elevation. Service end to south-west partly cased in local red
brick c.1700 with side stack to south-east and plain tile roof
rebuilt as hip. Parlour wing replaced in late C19 by red brick
and tile wing after a fire. C19 brick and plain tile lean-to to
left hand of porch; to right hand, C19 gabled porch re-using
medieval clunch with four-centred arch. Rear wing C18 with date
stone 1516 reset. Two storeys. Timber-frame partly exposed
with brick nogging and plastered and boxed. Moulded eaves
cornice. C18 entrance with six-panelled door. Windows include
two horizontal sliding sash windows with eight panes, one C18
twelve-paned hung sash window to right hand of door and one
small casement window. Interior, very fine folded ribbon
decoration to roll moulded cross beams and joists with roll and
cyma moulding and leaf stops to hall and original porch. Jamb
for cross passage door survives. Inglenook hearth with C18 over
mantel; bolection moulded chimney piece to first floor room.
Staircase early C18 in original position with pierced flat
balusters. Side purlin roof, but with earlier associations with
the river trade lying south of a dock with access to The Hythe
(C Taylor, Cambs. Landscape, pp.236-8).

RCHM, North-East Cambridgeshire, p.88, mon.18
Pevsner. Buildings of England, p.452
Taylor C. Cambridgeshire Landscape, p.236-8, 1973


Listing NGR: TL5650466274

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.