History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Churchyard South Gate and Adjoining Churchyard Walls

A Grade II Listed Building in Payhembury, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8083 / 50°48'30"N

Longitude: -3.2947 / 3°17'40"W

OS Eastings: 308875

OS Northings: 101774

OS Grid: ST088017

Mapcode National: GBR LS.YF4F

Mapcode Global: FRA 36ZY.Q8L

Entry Name: Churchyard South Gate and Adjoining Churchyard Walls

Listing Date: 24 October 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1309638

English Heritage Legacy ID: 86861

Location: Payhembury, East Devon, Devon, EX14

County: Devon

District: East Devon

Civil Parish: Payhembury

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Payhembury St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Payhembury

Listing Text

PAYHEMBURY
ST 00 SE
3/104 Churchyard south gate and
- adjoining churchyard walls
GV II

Churchyard gate and walls. Dated 1831, parts of the walls may be earlier. The
Church of St Mary (q.v) and its churchyard are built up on rising ground above the
village green. The gateway stands at the head of a wide flight of 5 granite steps
flanked by stone rubble retaining walls. They have weathered granite ashlar coping
which includes a series of ramps as it descends from the gate to heavy granite
terminal piers, slightly tapering cylinders with semi-circular caps. The gate posts
are granite and volcanic ashlar; they are square in section with chanelled
rustication and have projecting caps and large ball finials. Each contains a plaque
on the front; both are dated 1831 with the initials of the church wardens of that
year, HR to left and HD to right. The gates are probably contemporary; the top rail
dropping towards the centre and the rails with large spear heads. The wrought iron
overthrow which holds a lamp is dated 1911. Either side are the churchyard walls.
They are tall from the outside since theyrevet the terrace. They are built of
local stone rubble with volcanic ashlar rounded coping and are propped by a regular
series of pilaster buttresses and one large buttress with weathered offsets.


Listing NGR: ST0887601774

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.