This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5536 / 53°33'12"N
Longitude: -2.1981 / 2°11'53"W
OS Eastings: 386970
OS Northings: 406345
OS Grid: SD869063
Mapcode National: GBR FW2B.XW
Mapcode Global: WHB93.6YJ4
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 19 September 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1309684
English Heritage Legacy ID: 213455
Location: Rochdale, M24
Electoral Ward/Division: West Middleton
Built-Up Area: Middleton (Rochdale)
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Middleton St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
MIDDLETON MELLALIEU STREET
SD 80 NE
The Old Rectory
House. Early C16 open-hall house which was floored over in
C16, faced and partly rebuilt in brick in mid C19 and
considerably altered in c.1965. Much of the original timber-
framed structure is still encased in brick. Graduated stone
slate roof. 5-bay 2-storey elevation. Projecting plinth.
Panelled door in bay 4 with moulded surround, overlight and
Gothic revival gabled porch. Two 3-light mullion and
transom windows to left and 4 sash windows on first floor.
Single-storey wing to left. Bay 5 virtually rebuilt in
1965. The principal features of interest are inside where a
considerable portion of the close-studded timber framing
survives on a brick plinth believed to be of c.1520. The
cross-frame at the north of the original hall rises through
2 storeys and less complete framing exists on the south and
west sides. One of the studs bears a carved colonnette. The
inserted floor which is notched onto the rails at first
floor level consists of heavily moulded beams, cross-beams
and joists. The entrance hall and drawing room are
completely panelled. C16 linen-fold panelling with briar
frieze. C17 carved cupboards, fireplace and overmantel (part
of fireplace 1894) are all elaborately carved. Measured
drawings by W.J. Smith in N.M.R.
Listing NGR: SD8697006345
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings