This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8061 / 50°48'21"N
Longitude: -3.3699 / 3°22'11"W
OS Eastings: 303566
OS Northings: 101617
OS Grid: ST035016
Mapcode National: GBR LP.YD31
Mapcode Global: FRA 36TY.YS1
Entry Name: Clyst Hydon County Primary School
Listing Date: 24 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1309803
English Heritage Legacy ID: 86788
Location: Clyst Hydon, East Devon, Devon, EX15
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Clyst Hydon
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Clyst Hydon St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST 00 SW
2/28 Clyst Hydon County Primary School
School. Dated 1861. Local sandstone rubble with dressed volcanic trap quoins and
Bathstone ashlar details; stone stack with C19 brick chimneyshaft; C20 tile roof
(formerly slate with bands of scallop-shaped slates).
Plan: T-plan building. The main block faces south-west and contains one large
classroom. The entrance porch is on the right (north-east) end. A 1-room plan
block projects at right angles to rear. This rear block maybe secondary. There is
a stack between the two blocks. Both blocks are single storey. The main block has
a symmetrical 5-window front. All the windows are Bathstone, they have 2-centred
arch heads and contain Y-tracery. The original glazing bar pattern survives only in
the tracery. There is a large central 3-light window flanked by pairs of 2-light
windows. There is a gable containing a plaque covered with a coat of arms over the
central window. The roof is gable-ended and all the gables have shaped kneelers and
coping. There is a large 4-light window in the same style as the front ones in the
left end and a similar 2-light window in the rear wall. The entrance porch is on
the right end. It is gabled and entered from the rear through plank double doors.
Its gable-end contains a stone window with an elliptical head, 2 lights with Y-
tracery. Above it is a plaque inscribed AD 1861. The rear block is similar in
style but here the windows are square-headed.
Interior: not inspected.
The front playground is a terrace above the level of the road and it is revetted
with a local stone rubble wall.
This is an attractive small village school. It forms part of a group of listed
buildings in the vicinity of the Church of St Andrew (q.v).
Listing NGR: ST0356801618
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings