This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7825 / 50°46'56"N
Longitude: -2.9978 / 2°59'52"W
OS Eastings: 329752
OS Northings: 98574
OS Grid: SY297985
Mapcode National: GBR PH.305N
Mapcode Global: FRA 47L0.RXH
Entry Name: George Hotel
Listing Date: 11 August 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1309829
English Heritage Legacy ID: 87664
Location: Axminster, East Devon, Devon, EX13
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Axminster
Built-Up Area: Axminster
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Axminster St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SY 29 98 AXMINSTER VICTORIA PLACE
1/71 (east side)
11.8.50 George Hotel
Circa early C18 coaching inn, on an island site. Large stone rubble building with
brick front to Victoria Place. Steeply pitched slate hipped roof with modillion eaves
cornice. Bends at floor levels. Three storeys. Six bays. Sash windows with glazing
bars in exposed casing.
To right hand (south) late C18 assembly room addition with hipped asbestos slate roof,
carriageway to ground floor with large Venetian window above with pilasters,
entablature and keyblock. Similar window at rear.
Rear of main building has range of sashes, casements and ground floor bays with
sashes. Panelled door to Chard Street return with rectangular fanlight.
Interior of assembly room has plaster cornice and frieze of swags. Venetian window at
each end in elliptically arched openings. Chimneypiece with fluted Ionic three
quarter columns and decorated frieze. Small gallery with bowed balustrade. In the
main range an C18 dog-leg staircase with twined balusters.
Listing NGR: SY2975298574
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings