History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mabbutts

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hildersham, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1143 / 52°6'51"N

Longitude: 0.2555 / 0°15'19"E

OS Eastings: 554537

OS Northings: 248620

OS Grid: TL545486

Mapcode National: GBR M9Y.KD6

Mapcode Global: VHHKR.C4X0

Entry Name: Mabbutts

Listing Date: 22 November 1967

Last Amended: 30 September 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1309917

English Heritage Legacy ID: 51877

Location: Hildersham, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB21

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Hildersham

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Hildersham Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Hildersham

Listing Text

TL 5448 HILDERSHAM HIGH STREET
(North West Side)

12/64 Mabbutts (formerly listed
22.11.67 as Withleigh)

GV II*


House, formerly a farmhouse. Mid C16 with late C17 addition and
alterations. Timber-framed and partly plastered with hipped thatched roof;
tall red brick rectangular planned ridge stack; red pantiled rear wing with
end stack. Two storeys, three unit plan with cross passage behind the stack,
continuous jetty to main elevation of four bays including a chimney bay. (qv
The Bell, Linton). Main elevation: close-studded timber-frame with original
window sills to first floor windows in situ including small closet window,
(windows to right hand later insertions), exposed jetty joists with plain
curved brackets marking each bay. C19 four-flush-panelled door, and three
ground floor and three first floor horizontal sliding sashes. Interior:
Ground floor plan intact except for removal of wall to service room and
blocked rear door with four-centred arched head, first floor rooms with later
inserted partitions have a C16 boarded door with patterned iron strap hinges,
and a late C17 bolection-moulded door. Roll-moulded joists and cross beams.
Main hearth with reddened bricks (part of an original decorative scheme),
with deeply moulded re-used C15 mantel beam. Shutter groove and rebates for
shutters indicate former window positions. Room to left hand plastered with
late C17 cornice. Bake house and brewhouse with C20 alterations retain
original hearth and baking oven. Patterned plastered panels in
cross-passage.

RCHM Report 1951
VCH VI p 60


Listing NGR: TL5453748620

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.