History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hildersham Mill, Millers House and Attached Outbuildings

A Grade II Listed Building in Hildersham, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1115 / 52°6'41"N

Longitude: 0.2584 / 0°15'30"E

OS Eastings: 554743

OS Northings: 248315

OS Grid: TL547483

Mapcode National: GBR M9Z.L4F

Mapcode Global: VHHKR.F6F4

Entry Name: Hildersham Mill, Millers House and Attached Outbuildings

Listing Date: 24 November 1977

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1309925

English Heritage Legacy ID: 51871

Location: Hildersham, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB21

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Hildersham

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Linton St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Hildersham

Listing Text

TL 5448 HILDERSHAM CAMBRIDGE ROAD
(North Side)

12/58 Hildersham Mill,
24.11.77 Miller's House and
attached
outbuildings) (formerly
listed under parish of
II Linton)


Watermill, miller's house and attached buildings. Mid and late C19 with
alterations c.1930. Chimney stack inscribed TB (Thomas Bolton), 1868
recently reduced. Gault brick, clay bat, and weather boarded timber-frame.
Plain tiled, pantiled, and slated roofs. North facing elevation with a
connected range of buildings from east to west: barn and workshops at right
angles of brick and clay bat, partly weather boarded with various openings:
house of two storeys, gault brick with plain tiled roofs c.1825, altered 1857
and 1908-30, with three unit plan, wide stack to left of centre and end stack
to right hand, glazed garden doors to right of two storey canted bay windows
with four-paned hung sash windows, two ground floor windows and three first
floor sixteen-paned hung sash windows: mill of two storeys with attic, and
wheel house to west, weather boarded and brick with two boarded doors in
segmented brick arches and one half-glazed-panelled door at half storey
height: brick granary and engine house of three storeys c.1858 and 1868 with
C20 replacement windows and gantry from ridge for sack hoist; later cart
sheds and bakery or brewhouse to south. At right angles to west of house and
facing mill stream a converted stables with tarred clay bat rind brick walls
linked by closed porch with C19 double doors said to have come from the Shire
Hall. Mill machinery complete with the exception of the grinding stones;
iron undershot scoop wheel. The mill ceased to be used in 1904;

Hildersham mill deeds and photographs in private collection.


Listing NGR: TL5474348315

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.