History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Barmby Moor, East Riding of Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9306 / 53°55'50"N

Longitude: -0.8169 / 0°49'0"W

OS Eastings: 477779

OS Northings: 448919

OS Grid: SE777489

Mapcode National: GBR QQQZ.YR

Mapcode Global: WHFCF.FG7L

Entry Name: The Manor House

Listing Date: 26 January 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1309940

English Heritage Legacy ID: 167632

Location: Barmby Moor, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO42

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Barmby Moor

Built-Up Area: Barmby Moor

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Barmby Moor St Catherine

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Barmby on the Moor

Listing Text

BARMBY MOOR HALL SPOUT
SE 74 NE (east side)

5/13 The Manor House
26.1.67

- II *

House. 1597 on dated panel within entrance lobby; rebuilt late C17/early
C18, enlarged to rear C18. Brick, stucco, stone slate roof.
L-shaped plan. Main elevation of 2 storeys, 4 bays, 1:1:2. Plinth,
rusticated quoins and pilasters; in addition the entire entrance bay is
rusticated. Bolection moulded door-case with panelled reveals and soffit;
moulded cornice over with raised flowers to hollow moulding. Tripartite
sashes with sills under channelled wedge lintels with raised keyblocks.
First floor: 4 sliding sashes with glazing bars on moulded sills. Moulded
eaves cornice repeating flower motif to hollow moulding, axial stacks (with
paired flues to right, quatrefoil flues to left) and hipped roof. Interior:
entrance lobby lined with raised and fielded panelling to left, plain
panelling to right and to ceiling, the latter incorporating a raised equal-
arm cross in the centre. C19 panelled and glazed interior door with
intersecting glazing bars between attached columns bearing jardineres and
flowers all carved from the solid. Date over: 1597. Further inspection of
interior was not permitted at time of resurvey; the house is said to contain
a carved fireplace of c1640 and a number of other early features, including
several panelled rooms. Some of this panelling is said to have been brought
from the old parish church (rebuilt 1851) which may also include the dated
panel over the door. The site of the house is enclosed by a moat.


Listing NGR: SE7777948919

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.