History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in Croft Baker, North East Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5579 / 53°33'28"N

Longitude: -0.0307 / 0°1'50"W

OS Eastings: 530544

OS Northings: 408614

OS Grid: TA305086

Mapcode National: GBR XW79.49

Mapcode Global: WHHHT.HTLS

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 22 December 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1309988

English Heritage Legacy ID: 164466

Location: North East Lincolnshire, DN35

County: North East Lincolnshire

Electoral Ward/Division: Croft Baker

Built-Up Area: Cleethorpes

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Cleethorpes St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Cleethorpes

Listing Text

TA 3008 NE CLEETHORPES ST PETER'S AVENUE
(west side)

8/24 Church of St Peter
17/9/80

GV II

Parish church. 1864 by James Fowler of Louth. C20 addition to west
end. Rock-faced sandstone ashlar with Ancaster limestone dressings;
painted brick interior with ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof. Gothic
Revival style. Aligned north-east - south-west. 4-bay aisled nave with
south porch, single-bay chancel with single-bay organ chamber/chapel
adjoining to south, tower and vestry adjoining to north. Chamfered
plinth, angle buttresses and buttresses between bays, sill string-course
throughout. Nave: aisles have segmental-pointed 3-light windows to
north and south; foiled round windows to clerestory. West end has
buttresses flanking central section with pointed 3-light traceried
window with quatrefoiled oculus above, pointed 2-light window to north
aisle. Porch: pointed moulded outer arch with hoodmould and foliate
stops, pointed chamfered inner arch with hoodmould and plain stops,
scissor-braced open rafter roof. Chancel: pointed 2-light south window,
pointed 3-light east window with foiled roundel above; 1914-18 war
memorial plaque inserted in east wall recording church bells and
churchyard cross. Organ chamber/chapel: pointed 2-light south window
with blind slit in gable above. 3-stage tower has chamfered and moulded
plinth, string-courses between stages, full-height diagonal buttresses,
and staircase projection in north-east angle. First stage has chamfered
shouldered-arched north door, pointed 2-light east window. Second stage
has plain slit light with pointed relieving arch. Top stage has pointed
single-light belfry openings, clockface to east, moulded string-course,
angle gargoyles, coped embattled parapet. Single-storey vestry in
north-east angle has 3-light trefoiled east window, plain coped parapet.
All windows with Gothic Revival tracery, hoodmoulds and stops, those to
tower carved. Coped gables with shaped kneelers, carved open work
finials, crested ridge tiles throughout. Interior. Nave arcades of
pointed brick arches of 2 orders, with plain inner orders of banded
ashlar and brick, outer orders with moulded brick nailhead arrises, and
ashlar hoodmoulds with carved foliate stops. Cylindrical ashlar piers
and plain quoined responds with ornate carved foliate capitals and
moulded bases on tall plinths. Tall pointed chancel arch with similar
brick and ashlar details, on responds with paired shafts with foliate
capitals and mid shaft-rings. Segmental-pointed hollow-chamfered west
door. North aisle has pointed east arch with nailhead moulding and
hoodmould. South aisle has pointed ashlar arch to chapel. Chancel has
segmental-pointed double hollow-chamfered arch to organ chamber, a
tripartite recess to the north of pointed arches with nailhead moulding
and hoodmoulds, on paired shafts with foliate capitals; adjoining vestry
door to right with similar blind arch over. Chancel windows and nave
west window have chamfered reveals, nailhead moulding and hoodmoulds;
quoined surrounds to other windows. Dentilled brick cornice throughout.
Nave and chancel roofs have scissor braces, corbelled wall posts and
arch braces to main trusses. Carved ashlar reredos, octagonal font with
ornate carved panels, C19 pews. Became a parish church in 1889. N
Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, p
217; C Ekberg, The Book of Cleethorpes, 1986, p 44;The Story of Old
Clee Church and St Peter's Church, Cleethorpes, 1949, pp 32-34.


Listing NGR: TA3054408614


This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.