This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0801 / 51°4'48"N
Longitude: -4.1832 / 4°10'59"W
OS Eastings: 247168
OS Northings: 133467
OS Grid: SS471334
Mapcode National: GBR KK.DB2F
Mapcode Global: FRA 2648.D3G
Entry Name: Stile and Flanking Walls 900 Metres South-West of the Great Sluice
Listing Date: 14 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1310081
English Heritage Legacy ID: 98301
Location: Braunton, North Devon, Devon, EX33
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Braunton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Braunton St Brannock
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 17/07/2015
SS 43 SE
Stile and flanking walls 900 metres south-west of the Great Sluice
(Formerly listed as Stile and flanking walls 90 metres south-west of the Great Sluice)
Stile and flanking walls. Circa 1815. Shale rubble walls with vertical stone capping, sloping down on either side of dyke. Opening at top with large slate on edge to form stile between stone rubble piers, the west pier is damaged at top. Slate step below stile. The flanking walls fenced sections of the dyke and allowed the sections to be grazed separately.
Braunton Marsh was probably reclaimed in the Middle Ages from tidal waters of the River Taw. But from 1811-15 the marsh was more extensively drained on the authorization by Act of Parliament (1811) as a result of the endeavours of the Lords of the Manors of Braunton Garges, Braunton Abbotts, Braunton Arundel and Saunton and others who had grazing rights on the marshes. They sought to enclose Braunton Marsh which was regularly flooded by tidal water. 949 acres were reclaimed. John Pascoe was the surveyor and James Green (County Surveyor) the engineer. The adjacent Horsey Island to the south-east was reclaimed between 1852-1857.
Historically these late enclosures are particularly interesting in Braunton where the Great Field immediately north of the Marsh is one of only 3 open field systems to survive in England. Although today (1984) there are only 5 farmers on the Great Field, their holdings are still widely dispersed over the field as they were in the Middle Ages when there were about 100 farmers.
Reference: A H Slee, Trans. Devonshire Assoc (1969) Vol100, pp.101-110. W G Hoskins and H P R Finberg, Devonshire Studies, pp.265-271 and p.332.
Listing NGR: SS4716833467
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings