This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0867 / 51°5'12"N
Longitude: -4.175 / 4°10'30"W
OS Eastings: 247764
OS Northings: 134178
OS Grid: SS477341
Mapcode National: GBR KL.CS5F
Mapcode Global: FRA 2647.WVJ
Entry Name: Great Sluice
Listing Date: 14 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1310114
English Heritage Legacy ID: 98299
Location: Braunton, North Devon, Devon, EX33
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Braunton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Braunton St Brannock
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 43 SE BRAUNTON BRAUNTON MARSH
9/36 Great Sluice
Sluice to drain marshes. Circa 1811 to 1815 by James Green, engineer. Coursed and
dressed stone revetment walls with 3 segmentally arched sluice openings with 2
semi-circular retaining walls. The piers are grooved for sluice gates to slide
down. Continuous impost around piers and retaining walls at springing level of
The opposite outer end of sluice has retaining walls at right angles either side
and 2 large projecting round-ended piers either side of timber sluice gates to
single arched sluice.
Braunton Marsh was probably reclaimed in the Middle Ages from tidal waters of the
River Taw, but from 1811-15 the marsh was more extensively drained after
authorization by Act of Parliament (1811) as a result of the endeavours of the
Lords of the Manors of Braunton Gorges, Braunton Abbotts, Braunton Arundel and
Saunton and others who had grazing rights on the marshes. They sought to enclose
Braunton Marsh which was regularly flooded by tidal water. 949 acres were
reclaimed. John Pascoe was the surveyor and James Green (County Surveyor) the
engineer. The adjacent Horsey Island to the south east was reclaimed between 1852-
Historically these late enclosures are particularly interesting in Braunton where
the Great Field immediately north of the marsh is oneof only 3 open field systems
to survive in England. Although today (1984) there are only 5 farmers in the Great
Field their holdings are still widely dispersed over the field as they were in the
Middle Ages when there were about 100 farmers.
Reference: A H Slee Trans. Devonshire Assoc. (1969) Vol.100, pp.101-110.
W G Hoskins and H P R Finberg, Devonshire Studies, pp.265-271 and p.332.
Listing NGR: SS4776434178
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings