History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Comberton, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.19 / 52°11'24"N

Longitude: 0.0176 / 0°1'3"E

OS Eastings: 538012

OS Northings: 256562

OS Grid: TL380565

Mapcode National: GBR K60.R85

Mapcode Global: VHHK7.864Y

Entry Name: Manor Farmhouse

Listing Date: 31 August 1962

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1310156

English Heritage Legacy ID: 51650

Location: Comberton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB23

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Comberton

Built-Up Area: Comberton

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Comberton St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Hardwick

Listing Text

TL 3856 COMBERTON GREEN END
(West Side)


9/33 No. 51 (Manor
31. 8.62 Farmhouse)
II

House. Probably of two building periods, mid C17 and 1687. Mainly red
brick, painted, but timber framed, plaster rendered to first floor of front
range. Tiled roofs with rebuilt red brick stack at junction of front and
rear ranges and end stacks, similarly rebuilt to ends. Parapetted liable ends
on kneelers. Two ranges forming an L-plan. Front range is probably of mid
C17 origin. Possibly timber-framed, plaster rendered with the ground floor
and end walls replaced by red brick in 1687 when the house was extended at
the rear. Two storeys and attic. Two original gable dormers with C17
triangular pattern pargetted panel above three-light sliding sashes; Two
hung sashes to each storey. Doorway in C19 porch slightly off-centre. Rear
range dated 1687 and initials T M H (Thomas and Mary Holder) in panel to side
wall. Two storeys and attic. North side has two hipped dormers. Segmented
arches to original window openings, now with four pane hung sashes. Between
two storeys, a contemporary band is carried over the window and door
openings. Similar segmental arches and three windows, all C19 except for one
with original architrave. Stair turret of brick to north end of front range
has one small window opening to each storey, the mullions and surrounds being
late C17 and original. At the service end there is a late arched opening for
a cartway access to the dairy and another opening on the north side which
passes through ground and first storeys. Both openings are now blocked.
Inside: Abutting inglenook hearths. One has had the jamb extended and
underbuilt possibly when the front range had ground floor and end walls
rebuilt in brick, probably in 1687. Original newel staircase leading from
the hall. Some framing exposed internally at first floor.
R.C.H.M. West Cambs., mon.(30)


Listing NGR: TL3801256562

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.