This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.7719 / 54°46'18"N
Longitude: -1.5827 / 1°34'57"W
OS Eastings: 426943
OS Northings: 541965
OS Grid: NZ269419
Mapcode National: GBR KFD8.46
Mapcode Global: WHC4Q.NBJ4
Entry Name: Durham School South Building, Frontage Building and Gateway
Listing Date: 10 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1310230
English Heritage Legacy ID: 110434
Location: County Durham, DH1
County: County Durham
Electoral Ward/Division: Neville's Cross
Built-Up Area: Durham
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Durham St Margaret of Antioch
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ 24 SE (West side)
4/379 Durham School South
building and Gateway
School buildings. South building 1843-4 by Salvin and Pickering incorporating
an earlier house. Frontage building of slightly later date. Gateway 1927 as
memorial to Graham Campbell Kerr. Roughly-coursed squared sandstone with ashlar
dressings in older parts; hammer-dressed squared stone in later parts, with
similar dressings. Welsh slate roofs with stone copings and stacks, leaded
belfry spire. Modified Gothic style.
South building at left 2 storeys, 5 gabled bays, the 2 at right projecting.
Small Tudor-arched door at right of 3rd bay. Two-light mullioned-and-transomed
windows, those on ground floor under continuous drip string raised to form
hoodmoulds above 2 right windows; 4-centred relieving arches above. First-floor
left windowsin half-dormer gables except for 1 small window at left of 3rd bay,
and round small lights in right gable peaks. Coped plinth, alternating quoins.
Large square gable footstones. Left return shows ground-floor windows in raised
Frontage building 2 storeys, 5 irregular gabled bays. Large buttress at left.
In left bay a large projecting 2-centred-arched entrance, double-chamfered and
with carved spandrels. Band of heraldic panels above. Mullioned-and-transomed
windows, the upper ones with geometric traceried heads. To right of entrance
a small extruded octagonal belfry tower with cusped louvred bell-openings in
drum, and swept spire. Small openings or tracery panels in gables. Third bay
projects and has taller gable with cresset finial; roll finials elsewhere.
Gateway triple screen with large double-chamfered, 2-centred central carriage
archway and flanking pedestrian entrances with flattened Tudor-arched heads
under hoodmoulds. Screen wall with rolled coping stepped up to low central gable.
Listing NGR: NZ2694341965
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings