This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.46 / 53°27'36"N
Longitude: -0.1024 / 0°6'8"W
OS Eastings: 526082
OS Northings: 397596
OS Grid: TF260975
Mapcode National: GBR WXQF.MD
Mapcode Global: WHHJC.D9G9
Entry Name: Church of Saint Margaret
Listing Date: 4 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1310283
English Heritage Legacy ID: 164391
Location: Hawerby cum Beesby, North East Lincolnshire, DN36
County: North East Lincolnshire
Civil Parish: Hawerby cum Beesby
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Wold Newton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
TF 29 NE HAWERBY CUM BEESBY BARTON STREET
(west side, off)
Church of Saint Margaret
Parish church, made redundant 1978. C12 - C13, with later demolition of
south aisle. Restorations of 1846. Ironstone and chalk rubble and squared
blocks with limestone ashlar dressings. Some brick patching to north side.
Welsh slate roof. 3-bay nave with west bellcote and single-bay chancel.
Nave: buttresses to west. Blocked pointed arches and single plain moulded
capital of former arcade are visible in south wall, with re-set pointed
chamfered south door and lancet, and much-restored pointed 2-light window
with Y-tracery. Single lancet and restored 2-light Y-traceried window to
north. Bellcote has quoins, twin round-headed arches and coped gable.
Chancel: small round-headed lancet and much restored 3-light east window
with original hoodmould and C19 - C20 intersecting tracery. Interior:
chancel has pointed double piscina to east wall; much worn C13 ashlar grave
slab with cross in relief, re-set in sanctuary floor; inscribed brass wall
tablet to Elizabeth Humfray of 1637 re-set in C19 columned ashlar surround;
restored cylindrical Norman font with carved band of saltire crosses.
N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, 270-1.
Listing NGR: TF2608297596
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.