This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2312 / 52°13'52"N
Longitude: -0.5523 / 0°33'8"W
OS Eastings: 498968
OS Northings: 260206
OS Grid: SP989602
Mapcode National: GBR DZK.55Z
Mapcode Global: VHFPT.C5WX
Entry Name: Tofte Manor
Listing Date: 7 May 1952
Last Amended: 27 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1310287
English Heritage Legacy ID: 37243
Location: Sharnbrook, Bedford, MK44
Civil Parish: Sharnbrook
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Sharnbrook
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
SP 96 SE SHARNBROOK SOULDROP ROAD
Small C17 mansion extensively renovated and extended 1902. Central gable on south elevation has datestone and motto "Except the Lord build the house their neighbour is but lost that built it 1613". Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings, clay tile roofs. Two storeys. Early house had U plan with wings projecting to north either side of slightly off-centre main entrance, now with large semi-circular headed door, and 3-light mullion and transom window over in large gable. South (garden) elevation has similar entrance with datestone over upper window and flat two-centred head to door. Three gabled dormers, the western over a Cl9 bay window. Tall ashlar stacks with pairs of long pots and corkscrew shafts. 1902 extensions on east side. Battlemented two storey tower block with square full length bay of south side, 6~light mullion and transomed window on each floor. Battlemented garden wall further east links to smaller tower, outbuildings and stables. Double pile two storey extension on north side, dated 1902.
Historical note: Part of the interior - the Drawing Room - underwent
decoration by James McNeill Whistler in 1880. The decoration consisted of squares of Dutch metal, interleaved with copper resinate. This technique is similar to that employed by Whistler in his most celebrated work, the Peacock Room at 49, Princes Gate, London. Recent investigation (1977) revealed the survival of the ceiling decoration.
Listing NGR: SP9896860206
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings